Respondus LockDown Browser® is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Canvas. When students use Respondus LockDown Browser they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, students are locked into it until they submit it for grading. Available for Windows, Mac and iOS.
Information to Add to your Syllabus
- The sample text below can be used in your course or syllabus. It explains that students must use LockDown Browser for their online tests.
Using LockDown Browser for Online Exams
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser for online exams. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the optional webcam feature (which may be required for some exams).
Then download and install LockDown Browser from this link: LOCKDOWN BROWSER LINK[NOTE TO INSTRUCTOR: INSERT THE STUDENT QUICK START GUIDE FOR YOUR LMS HERE]
- To take an online test, start LockDown Browser and navigate to the exam. (You won’t be able to access the exam with a standard web browser.) For additional details on using LockDown Browser, review this Student Quick Start Guide (PDF)[NOTE TO INSTRUCTOR: INSERT YOUR INSTITUTION’S DOWNLOAD URL HERE, IF APPLICABLE]Finally, when taking an online exam, follow these guidelines:
- Select a location where you won’t be interrupted
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and that you’ve allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Turn off all mobile devices, phones, etc. and don’t have them within reach
- Clear your area of all external materials — books, papers, other computers, or devices
- Remain at your desk or workstation for the duration of the test
- LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.
- When setting up your test, you do not have to require the use of a webcam. Several of our students with older technology do not have webcams. To make your test be as compatible as possible, do not require the webcam to be used.
Why a practice exam is important
- Ensure your first exam using LDB runs smoothly! Have students take an ungraded practice quiz that requires the use of LDB, before the graded exam occurs.Leave the quiz available for the duration of the course, with unlimited attempts, so students can access it again if they use a different computer.
Register for free LDB Webinars
Instructor Quick Start Guide