DACC COMMENCEMENT EXERCISES
Pan American Center
NOTE TO GUESTS ATTENDING COMMENCEMENT:
The Pan Am doors will open at 6:00 p.m.
Important Enhanced Safety and Security Measures can be read at http://commencement.nmsu.edu/notifications/
Dress and Conduct
Traditional black caps and gowns will be worn by all graduates and may not be altered, modified or decorated in any way. The top of the mortar board (cap) may be decorated, please practice discretion when decorating.
University approved and issued Honor Cords and Stoles may be worn at the Ceremony. A maximum of 3 cords and or stoles may be worn to the ceremony.
Use caution in selecting your graduation footwear. You will be required to stand for periods of time, walk distances, and use stairs and ramps.
The use of alcohol or inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. Improper conduct may result in you being asked to leave and/or disciplinary actions. Those who choose to participate must respect the rights of others, including invited guests.
6:00 p.m. REPORT TO THE TABLES NEAREST THE EAST TUNNEL OF THE PAN AMERICAN CENTER
1) Pick up name card and lanyard
2) See staff for any correction
3) Proceed to the appropriate area to be lined up
PLEASE NOTE: Tassel will be worn on right side of cap as you enter the arena. You do not need to pick up a program. One will be provided for you at your seat. Graduates may not carry anything in their hands during commencement. Cell phones should be turned off. No sunglasses will be allowed. Restrooms will only be available inside Pan Am.
ORDER OF EVENTS
1) Processional at 7:00 p.m.
- Platform party enters the arena and takes their seats on the platform
- Faculty and staff enter the arena and take their seats on the arena floor
- Students are led onto the arena floor by student marshals
PLEASE NOTE: Students who arrive after the graduates are marching onto the arena floor will have to sit in the back. Students who arrive after the graduates have been seated will not be permitted to enter the arena floor.
3) Presentation of Colors & National Anthem
5) Introduction of Platform Guests
6) Recognition of Honorary Degree Recipient
7) Presentation of Graduating Class
RISE AS YOUR GROUP IS CALLED
8) Conferring of Degree. After your degree is conferred, you will be directed to SHIFT YOUR TASSEL FROM RIGHT TO LEFT AS A GROUP.
9) Graduates walk across the stage. Approach the right side of the stage following the marshal’s instructions. You will approach the stage one row at a time. Hand the reader marshal your name card. After your name is called, shake hands with the people on stage congratulating you. Shake with your right hand and receive your diploma tube with your left hand. Momentarily look at the photographer on the floor in front of the stage and then proceed across the stage, down the other ramp, and back to your seat.
REMAIN STANDING until the last person in your row has reached his/her chair. SIT IN UNISON.
Please be considerate of your fellow graduates and remain until the conclusion of the ceremony.
- Platform party exits the platform
- Faculty and staff exit their seats and form a greeting line
- Students are led from their seats by student marshals through the greeting line
LET THE CELEBRATION BEGIN!