Developmental English and Reading
Provide instruction in communication, language, English as a second language acquisition, literacy, and critical thinking.
For developmental education students,
- Prepare those who wish to pursue an academic degree and to help those who wish to develop basic skills for use on the job or in their personal lives.
- Provide English-language and second-language learners sensitive, student-centered instruction in linguistics, semantics, phonetics, and cultural knowledge.
- Provide study, reading, and critical thinking skills across the disciplines in a variety of strategies and contexts.
Our mission best serves and meets the diverse academic and workplace needs of this community of lifelong learners.
The Dona Ana Community College English Department promotes academic and workplace literacy through quality instruction. We strive to connect students to a foundational knowledge of rhetorical and multimodal strategies, critical thinking, and audience centered communication. We embrace diversity and advocate for students through mentoring and by creating learning environments that engage and retain students.
DACC’s English Department values:
- Quality, integrity, and diversity
- Multiple points of view
- Student engagement
- Critical thinking
- Student success
- Mutual respect
- Student empowerment
- Informed, evidence based pedagogy
- Reflective practice
- Real life application
- Teamwork and collegiality
- Address specific needs of a diverse populace to ensure success
- Foster learning opportunities for ELL/ESL students
- Increase students’ academic persistence
- Promote multiple forms of literacy including verbal, visual, and technological
- Involve students in meaningful activities and decision processes
- Support development and expertise of faculty and staff via professional workshops & conferences
- Request adequate instructional resources and cutting edge technology
- Improve full-time to part-time faculty ratio
- Create an atmosphere of mentorship between colleagues as well as students
- Build partnerships within our college and the larger community
- Advocate for additional resources that assist in fulfilling our mission
- Prepare students for transfer to a four-year institution