What Defines a Learning Community?
- Linked courses (two or more) with common assignments and projects
- Supportive classroom environments that encourage study groups
- Classes that are typically scheduled on the same day, back-to-back
- Simultaneous enrollment in all classes making up a particular learning community
How Do Learning Communities Help?
- By establishing a sense of community with classmates and instructors
- By increasing student learning as a result of connecting courses
- By promoting more active learning through collaboration
Why be in a Learning Community?
- To have a better chance for success in college courses
- To have more instructor support
- To increase the likelihood of getting accepted into a competitive-entry program