Common Questions

Common Academic Advising Questions
What is academic advising?

Academic advising is an ongoing, shared partnership between you and your advisor that focuses on practically helping you identify, plan and achieve your academic goals.

In an academic advising session you and your advisor may engage in:

Developing an awareness of your values, interests, abilities, skills and potential
Identifying academic, career and life options and goals
Choosing an academic program
Strategically planning out steps toward graduation
Identifying effective academic study skills and habits
Solving problems that impede your progress toward an academic goal
Referring you to appropriate campus resources
Learning how to use the account and the STAR Degree Audit
Selecting courses
Registering for classes

“The fundamental purpose of academic advising is to help students become effective agents for their own lifelong learning and personal development. Our relationships with students, the questions we raise, the perspectives we share, the resources we suggest, the short-term decisions and long-range plans we help them think through all should aim to increase their capacity to take charge of their own existence.”— Arthur W. Chickering

Who is my academic advisor?

If you have declared a specific DACC major, you are advised by a DACC faculty advisor in your program and/or a professional advisor in your academic division. See the Advising Directory for more information.

The DACC Academic Advising Center serves as a resource for the following students:

Transitional students including University Transition Program (UTP) students and other Unclassified students who choose DACC as a place to begin their college career.
Students who are declared into Corrections, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Education, Education, Fire Investigation, Fire Science Technology, Fire Science Certificate, Health Care Assistant Certificate, Law Enforcement, Pre (Agriculture/Engineering/Social Work/Law/Professional Health) NMSU Associate in General Studies, Transfer AGS, Exploratory AGS.
Undecided students who are declared as Associate of General Studies majors until they either declare into a DACC major or graduate.
Non-degree seeking students such as those taking courses for their own enrichment or as directed by their employer.

When should I meet with my academic advisor?

New students will meet with their academic advisor and register for classes as part of their DACC New Student Orientation.

Transfer and Readmitted students should make an appointment with their academic advisor once their DACC admission is complete.

Continuing students should plan ahead and meet with their academic advisor every semester well in advance of continuing student registration according to the table below:

To register for the...Continuing student registration begins...Make a planning appointment with your advisor during this time frame...
Upcoming Spring SemesterEarly NovemberSeptember and October
Upcoming Summer and/or Fall semesterEarly AprilFebruary and March

Academic Advising Center Administration

Brad C. MazdraDirector Academic Advising(575) 527-7519bmazdra@dacc.nmsu.eduEast Mesa Campus
Amanda VescovoAssociate Director Academic Advising(575) 527-7571avescovo@dacc.nmsu.eduEast Mesa Campus
Corina PicazoAdministrative Assistant(575) 528-7272copicazo@nmsu.eduEast Mesa Campus
DASR 103
Becky RodriguezData Records Specialist(575) 528-7031berodrig@nmsu.eduEast Mesa Campus

DACC East Mesa Campus Advisors

Brad MazdraDirector Academic Advising(575) 527-7519bmazdra@dacc.nmsu.eduDASR 103D
Amanda VescovoAssociate Director Academic Advising(575) 527-7571avescovo@dacc.nmsu.eduDASR 101D
Lorena RamosAcademic Advisor(575) 528-7062lramos@dacc.nmsu.eduDASR 103C
Edward RodriguezAcademic Advisor(575) DASR 103A
Megan HallAcademic Advisor(575) 528-7045mhall@dacc.nmsu.eduDASR 101F

DACC Central Campus Advisors

Marty G. BrooksAcademic Advising
(575) 527-7683mabrooks@nmsu.eduDASH 115E
Estela FloresAcademic Advisor(575) 528-7478eflores@dacc.nmsu.eduDASH 115D
Muhieldin DupassCareer/Technical
Academic Advisor
(575) 528-7084mdupass@dacc.nmsu.eduDASH 115B
Sascha LarrabeeAcademic Advisor - Arts, Humanities
and Social Sciences
(575) 528-7243larrabee@nmsu.eduDASH 115F

DACC Satellite Center Academic Advisors

Ray DiazDACC
Gadsden Center
Academic Advisor
(575) 882-6809raydiaz@nmsu.eduDAGC 100E
Manuel HernandezDACC
Sunland Park Center
Academic Advisor
(575) 874-7787MaHernandez@dacc.nmsu.eduDASP 106A

Hours of Operation:

Academic Advising hours are Monday – Friday. planning sessions, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Appointments and walk-ins are both accommodated. The office operates exclusively on a walk-in basis the first week of each semester and during continuing student classification registration.

Contact Us

By MailBy PhoneBy Fax
DACC Academic Advising Center
MSC 3DA, P.O. Box 30001
2800 N Sonoma Ranch Blvd
Las Cruces, NM 88011
(575) 528-7272
or toll free
(575) 527-7763

Did I register for the right classes?

After registering for classes, please review your courses, times, days and location of the courses immediately. You can pick up an official registration document at the DACC Registration Office, DASR 101H East Mesa Campus, DASH 115 Central Campus or at the appropriate satellite center. If you have any questions about the applicability of your classes or if you find any errors in the class title, class time, room and building numbers, or credits listed, please consult with your academic advisor for help.

How do I withdraw from all my classes?

If you are a DACC student and you need to completely withdraw from all courses, you may withdraw at the DACC Registration Office, DASR 101H at the East Mesa Campus or DASH 115 at the Central Campus. If you stop attending classes but do not officially withdraw, you may receive failing grades for all your courses. In this case you will also be liable for all tuition and fees.

Will I get a refund if I withdraw from classes?

Depending on when you withdraw, you may be eligible for a refund. Check the Schedule of Classes to determine how much you may be eligible to receive refund. Percentages are based upon the total charges for the semester and not upon the amount you have paid.

May I repeat a class?

You may repeat a course in which you earned a D or F grade at DACC or NMSU. A computable grade (excluding I, W, RR, AU, CR, S, or U) in a repeated course may be substituted in the calculation of the grade-point average, though the original grade also remains on the transcript. The first occurrence with a C or better grade will count in earned/passed hours. Future attempts will not count in earned/passed hours. If you repeat a course eligible for grade substitution in which you have earned a D and then fail the course, the second grade of F will not be substituted for the original grade.

Neither credits nor grade points may be earned by repeating a course for which a grade of C or higher has already been received.

NOTE: For Financial Aid restrictions on repeats, contact your Financial Aid Advisor.
What other campus resources does DACC offer?

Computer Lab

The lab provides open access to computing resources, the internet and Canvas (for online classes) as well as other services. Central Campus DASH, Room 85, (575) 527-7561 or East Mesa Campus DAAR 200, (575) 528-7337.

Tutorial Services

One-on-one learning assistance is provided free of charge in credit programs. Tutoring is available in the Student Success Center, Central Campus, DASH Room 116, (575) 528-7447, or East Mesa Campus, DAAR 201, (575) 528-7275. Limited tutorial services also are available at Sunland Park Education Center, Gadsden Education Center and White Sands Education Center.

Financial Aid

Financial Aid will help you apply for federal and state grants, loans, and work-study funds (to get an on-campus job) as well as a variety of scholarships sponsored by a variety of state, community, and private sources. DASR 109, (575) 527-7696.


The DACC library offers a variety of resources in both print and non-print formats, and promotes the latest information technologies and electronic resources. Central Campus, Learning Resources Building (DALR), Room 260, (575) 527-7555 or East Mesa, Academic Resources Building (DAAR), Room 203, (575) 528-7260.

Student Accessibility and Resource Center

Student Accessibility and Resource Center facilitates special learning services, located in DASR 104A (EMC) or DASH 117 (LCC), (575) 527-7548.

Personal Counseling

Personal Counseling is available through the DACC Counseling office. DASR 104A (EMC) or DASH 117 (LCC), (575) 527-7548. Limited counseling services are also available at the Sunland Park Center and Gadsden Center.

Student Activities, Clubs and Student Government

Student organizations broaden your interests through participation in different activities and events. DASR 110 (EMC) or DASH 115 (LCC), (575) 527-7618.

Veterans’ Benefits

Students with military veterans’ eligibility may be certified to receive educational benefits by registering with our VA certifying official located at the East Mesa Campus in DASR 107. See the Student Services section of the catalog for details, or call (575) 528-7081.


You may choose to make housing and meal plan arrangements through the NMSU Housing and Dining Services if you plan to live on campus. NMSU Educational Services Building, (575) 646-3202, NMSU Housing Office.