Doña Ana Community College Click the NMSU logo to visit NMSU's site. Home of DACC. Need our logo? Get it at

MyNMSU • Canvas • Phone Directory • Intranet • Outlook Web Access

Search with Bing™

Academic Regulations


The unit of credit at DACC /NMSU is the semester hour, which is the equivalent of one hour’s recitation (lecture) or a minimum of two hours of practice per week for one semester.

Class Load

The normal class load in a regular semester is 12 to 18 credits. An overload is more than 18 credits. For financial aid purposes, the minimum class load is 12 credits. A normal class load in summer school is six credits.

Written permission for the student to register for an overload must be obtained from the campus student services officer. To be eligible to take an overload, the student must have a cumulative grade-point average for the two preceding semesters of 2.5 or above with no grade less than C. A one-credit course in physical activity does not affect the calculation for determining an overload. Freshmen will not be permitted to assume an overload.

Satisfactory Progress

A full-time student is making satisfactory progress when the cumulative number of credits earned at NMSU/DACC, divided by the number of semesters attended, equals at least 12. Part-time students must earn a proportional number of credits in the same time period for purposes of financial aid. In the case of new freshmen, this definition will not be applied until the beginning of the third semester of enrollment; however, for all other students, it will apply after one semester of enrollment. All students at the end of their second academic year must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0.

Grading System

Grades and credits can be accessed over the Web, but students must have a PIN (personal identification number) in order to do so. Grade reports may be ordered via Web, but will not be automatically mailed to students. When ordered, grades will be mailed to an address chosen by the student. It is the responsibility of the student to provide the Office of the Registrar with the address to which grades should be mailed. At the request of the student, the instructor will provide information on progress in the course prior to the last day to drop a course. The system of grading is expressed in letters that carry grade points used in calculating the cumulative grade-point average:

Letter Grade Grade Points
A For excellent work 4
B For above-average work 3
C For average work 2
D For below-average work 1
F For failing work 0
N Grade not submitted 0
W For withdrawal 0
CR Credit authorized, but not letter grade 0
RR Progress in undergraduate course 0
S Satisfactory work (normally equivalent to C or higher) 0
U Unsatisfactory work 0
I Incomplete 0
AU Audit 0


In computing the overall grade-point average, the total of credits in which the grades of A, B, C, D, or F have been assigned is divided into the total number of grade points earned.

Courses for which only credit (CR) but no letter grade is given and courses in which an S is earned may be counted toward graduation, but are not computed in the grade-point average.

Repeat Option. A student may repeat a course numbered below 300 in which a D or F grade has been earned. A computable grade (excluding I, W, RR, AU, CR, S, or U) in a repeated course may be substituted in the calculation of the grade point average, though the original grade also remains on the transcript. All grades in repeated courses, except the first grade earned, are counted in the grade point average. If a student repeats a course eligible for grade substitution in which the student has earned a D and fails the course, the second grade of F may be substituted for the original grade. If this is done, the student loses both credit and grade points earned by the original D. However, it is possible to petition that the course be waived if it is required for graduation. A course numbered 300 or above in which a D or F grade has been earned may be retaken. All grades earned for the course will be included in the cumulative grade point average but credit may only be earned once. A maximum of 30 credits of grade substitution is permitted overall.

Neither credit nor grade points may be earned by repeating a courses for which a grade of C or higher has already been received. A course taken prior to the time the student received a degree at DACC/ NMSU cannot be repeated after the degree has been awarded.

Incomplete Grade. The grade of I (incomplete) is given for passable work that could not be completed due to circumstances beyond the student’s control. The following regulations apply to removing or changing an I grade.

  1. Instructors may assign I grades only if the student is unable to complete the course due to circumstances beyond the student’s control that develop after the last day to withdraw from the course. Examples of appropriate circumstances include documented illness, documented death or crisis in the student’s immediate family, and similar circumstances. Job related circumstances are generally not appropriate grounds for assigning an I grade. In no case is an I grade to be used to avoid the assigning of D, F, U, or RR grades for marginal or failing work.

  2. To assign an I grade, the instructor must complete the I Grade Information Form and have the form delivered to the course dean, together with the instructor’s grade sheets for the semester. The instructor will state in writing on the I-Grade Information Form the steps necessary to complete the remaining course work or the instructor may indicate that the student will be required to re-enroll in the course to receive credit (in which case the I grade will not be removed). The student will sign this document or the course dean will send a copy of the document to the student’s official permanent address as recorded in the Registrar’s Office.

  3. The student is entitled to have the I grade removed from the student’s transcript only if the student completes the remaining course work as specified on the I-Grade Information Form, in a manner satisfactory to the instructor. The work must be completed within 12 months after the I grade is assigned and prior to the student’s graduation, or within a shorter period of time if specified by the instructor on the I-Grade Information Form. If the student fails to complete the course work, the instructor may change the I grade to any appropriate grade (including D, F, or U) provided that the instructor stated that this would occur on the I-Grade Information Form.

  4. I grades can be removed from the student’s transcript by the instructor only during the 12-month period following assignment of the I grade or prior to the student’s graduation, whichever comes first. To remove an I grade, the instructor must complete a Change of Grade Form and file the form with the Registrar. The instructor may assign whatever grade is appropriate for the entire course. This may include grades of D, F, or U. An I grade not changed by the assigning instructor within 12 months and prior to graduation shall remain an I grade thereafter.

  5. A student may re-enroll and receive credit for any course for which an I grade was previously received, but retaking the course will not result in a removal of the I grade from the student’s transcript.

The effect of removing an I grade on a student’s academic standing (scholastic warning, probation, or suspension) depends on the date the transaction is officially recorded on the student’s academic record. If the transaction is recorded before the student begins another semester, the grade replacing the I is included in the grade-point average calculation that establishes the student’s academic standing. If the transaction is recorded after the student begins another semester, the new grade’s effect on academic standing is based upon its inclusion with grades for the semester in which the student is enrolled.

RR Grade. The RR grade applies only to designated skill-development (CCDE, CCDL, and CCDM) courses and indicates the student has made substantial progress toward completing the requirements of the course. It carries neither penalty nor credit. The student must re-register and successfully complete the course in order to earn credit. The grade of RR may be received only once in any given course, and it remains on the student’s transcript.

S/U Option. Students with 28 credits at DACC/ NMSU under traditional grading, with an overall average of 2.5 or better, may exercise the S/U option. The following limitations apply:

  1. No more than 7 credits per semester or 4 credits per summer session.
  2. Not to exceed a total of 21 semester credits.

These limitations do not apply to honors courses or courses officially designated S/U.

Each course under this option must be requested during registration. The course must be taken outside the major. If the student changes majors, the new major department may require a traditional grade for a course previously passed with an S grade. The traditional grade change is made by the instructor or by a course challenge if the original instructor is no longer with the college.

Eligibility for S/U grading must be reestablished after adjusted credit has been approved. Nondegree students who do not meet the above requirements may take courses under the S/U option. However, these courses may not be applied toward an undergraduate degree at NMSU.

Each college of the university may designate courses in which the grading will be a basis of S or U for all students enrolled in the courses. Credits in such courses are not included in the 21-credit limitation.

Adjusted Credit Option

This option may be used only once and is not reversible. All courses carrying a grade of S, CR, or C or better, earned prior to the grading period in which the student requests the adjusted credit option (including transfer courses) are included as adjusted credit. All allowable credits are designated on the permanent academic record as “adjusted credit” and are omitted from the calculations of the cumulative grade-point average.

A fee of $10 is required for the submission of an adjusted credit option application. Application forms are available in the Advising Center, DAMA 116. Students applying for this option must

  1. Must not hold a baccalaureate or associate degree;
  2. Be currently enrolled as a regular or nondegree undergraduate student;
  3. Have a cumulative grade-point average of less than 2.0 at NMSU/DACC;
  4. Have successfully completed fewer than 60 credits when transfer credits and DACC/NMSU credits are combined; and
  5. Exercise the option only during the fall or spring semester before the last day to withdraw from DACC/NMSU.

Other courses taken during the period of credit adjustment are not calculated in the cumulative grade-point average. The repeat rule for courses starts anew for students who have taken the adjusted credit option.

Credits covered by this option are shown on the transcript with an appropriate notation, and all coursework attempted is shown. In no circumstances will a transcript of this record be issued that does not include all courses attempted at this university.

Probationary status and eligibility for on-campus employment are not affected by the exercise of the adjusted credit option.

Students are eligible for university honors if the criteria for university honors are met for all courses taken at NMSU/DACC after the period of adjusted credit.

DACC students who exercise the adjusted credit option must pass an additional 30 graded credits before they may be awarded an associate degree.

Transfer Credits

A transfer student may, on the basis of an evaluation of her/his transcripts, receive credit for courses taken at other postsecondary institutions in which a grade of C or higher was received.

Credits from accredited institutions are automatically evaluated, once official transcripts are received by the DACC Admissions Office. However, credits from nonaccredited institutions may be evaluated only after the student has completed two semesters with full-time status and satisfactory grades. The student should then initiate the request for evaluation of these credits through the academic department chair.

Semester and cumulative grade-point averages will be based solely on courses taken at NMSU and DACC.


A regularly enrolled student may register for any course prior to the last day of registration as an auditor without credit with the consent of the instructor, provided the facilities are not required for regular students. The fee is the same as for credit courses. Audit courses are not considered in determining the maximum load except for students on probation.

Short Courses

Short courses are available during the academic year. See the current Class Schedule for special registration times and deadlines for payment. In order to register for a short course, a student must be eligible to attend DACC/NMSU. Please note that enrollment in short courses is prohibited if total credit hours would exceed 18 in a fall or spring semester or if they exceed 7 in a summer session.

Credit by Challenging Courses

Any enrolled student with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0, currently attending classes, may, with permission of the appropriate division or department, challenge by examination any undergraduate course in which credit has not been previously earned except an independent study, research or reading course, or any foreign language course that precedes the final course in the lower division sequence. The manner of administering the examination and granting permission shall be determined by the division or department in which the course is being challenged.

Students may not enroll in a single course, challenge it by examination, and drop it during the drop/add period, unless they enroll in an additional course. In exceptional cases in which a student demonstrates outstanding ability in a course in which (s)he is already registered, (s)he may be permitted to challenge the course.

A student desiring to apply for special examination may obtain the necessary forms from the NMSU Office of the Registrar. The fee for challenging a course is the same as the approved tuition rate.

A grade of C or better is required for credit and will be recorded on the student’s record as may not be challenged under the S/U option.

The special examination privilege is based on the principle that the student, exclusively, has the responsibility for preparing for a special examination.

Credit by College-Level Examination Program

Prior to or during a student’s enrollment at DACC, credits toward general education requirements may be earned through the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the College Entrance Examination Board. CLEP is a national program of credit by examination that offers the opportunity to earn credits for college-level achievement regardless of how or where the couse content was learned.

Earned CLEP credit will be treated as transfer credit without a grade, will count toward graduation, and may be used in fulfilling specific curriculum requirements.

A current NMSU CLEP Policy, as well as test schedule information, is available through Testing Services, located in room 235 of Garcia Annex on the NMSU main campus (telephone 646-1921).

Credit for Prior Learning or Military Experience

Academic credit may be granted for substantial previous training and experience in the student’s major area of study, or for experience gained in the military. An academic adviser can describe the steps involved.


A prerequisite is an enforceable entry requirement for a particular course.

Recognition for Academic Achievement

Crimson Scholars Program

To be eligible for the Crimson Scholars Program, all applicants must be degree seeking. New entering freshmen must have a minimum ACT standard composite score of 26 or a SAT score within the 1170-to1190 range. Eligibility for currently enrolled students is a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 for 15 or more graded* credits at NMSU/DACC. Freshmen entering on an ACT score must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.3 to continue in the program until they complete 28 graded* credits; sophomores must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 and be currently enrolled in a total of seven or more graded* credits per semester at NMSU or any of its branches to retain their Crimson Scholar status. Transfer students must have at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA for 12 or more graded* credits from their previous institution(s) or complete 12 or more graded* credits at NMSU/DACC for eligibility. Students designated as Crimson Scholars whose cumulative GPAs drop below the required 3.5 will be dropped from the program. If in the following semester a student’s cumulative GPA again meets the minimum requirement, the student will be reinstated upon the student notifying the Crimson Scholar program. Those dropped from the program for two consecutive semesters may petition for re-entry into the program once a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above is regained while taking the minimum number of credits required.

In recognition of the student’s academic achievement, the designation “Crimson Scholar” is placed on the student’s transcript and they are recognized at commencement with special regalia and a notation in the program. Students who complete two semesters as Crimson Scholars and are eligible for a third semester receive a lapel pin. Crimson Scholars are entitled to early registration and special library privileges.

Additional information is available from the campus student services officer, whose office is located in DAMA 115.

* NOTE: Courses taken on an S/U or on an audit basis, as well as those for which an I was received, are not counted.

Centennial Scholars Program

To be eligible for the Centennial Scholars Program students must meet all the following criteria:

  1. Be a degree-seeking, part-time student enrolled for six or fewer graded credits (S/U, I, and AU do not count) per semester at NMSU/DACC;
  2. Currently have a 3.5 cumulative GPA or above;
  3. Have accumulated a minimum of 15 graded credits at New Mexico State University/DACC;
  4. Must have completed at least 24 credits from the last semester they exercised the adjusted credit option with a 3.5 cumulative GPA or above

In recognition of academic achievement, “Centennial Scholar” is recorded on the student’s transcript after the completion of nine credits with a grade-point average of 3.5 or better.

If the student’s cumulative grade-point average drops below the minimum standard of 3.5, the student will be dropped from the program and must file a petition for re-entry when the cumulative GPA again meets the requirement.

Students who receive three Centennial Scholar designations will receive a lapel pin. Special regalia is worn by Centennial Scholars at graduation and a notation is made in the program. Centennial Scholars are entitled to early registration and special library privileges. To learn more about becoming a Centennial Scholar, contact the campus student services officer, DAMA 115.

Published Report of Academic Achievement

Following the close of the semester, the college will publish a list of students who have achieved honor standing in grades for the previous semester. To be eligible, a student must have been enrolled in 12 or more semester credits with a computable grade in each. The top 15 percent of eligible students in the college will be named to the Published Report of Academic Achievement.
The designation Meritorious Graduate is awarded to the top 15 percent of the students receiving associate degrees within each college in any one academic year; the students must have completed 45 or more credits with computable grades at Doña Ana Community College.

Registration for Classes

Students may register for classes in person by completing a Course Request Card and submitting it at the Registration Office at one of DACC’s campuses or centers. Timelines and instructions are included in the DACC Class Schedule issued every semester.

Changes in Registration

Registration changes may be processed only in accordance with university regulations and with appropriate signatures. It is the responsibility of the student to initiate official withdrawal from a course and to obtain all necessary signatures on the drop/add form. Forms are available from the student’s academic adviser or in the Registration Office at one of DACC’s campuses or centers. Completed forms must be processed by the staff in the Registration Office. Courses may not be added or dropped after the cutoff date indicated in the university calendar. Any student officially withdrawing from or dropping a course during a semester or summer session may receive a refund of tuition and fees as outlined in the current Class Schedule.

When a student officially drops a course, the W grade is assigned as follows:

  1. No grade is assigned during the registration period.
  2. A W grade is assigned to any student who officially drops a course during the first half of its duration. A student may not officially withdraw from a course after this time. All drop forms must be signed and dated by the instructor of the course, the adviser, and the department chair.
  3. A grade of W is assigned in all courses to any student officially withdrawing from the university prior to the last three weeks of classes.

A student found insufficiently prepared to carry a regular course may be transferred to a more elementary course in the same field anytime before the last day to officially withdraw from an individual course. Any person attending under the Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program should notify the Veteran’s office in DAMA 116 when dropping or adding courses that change enrollment status for benefits.

Withdrawal from NMSU/DACC

Withdrawal from any NMSU campus is an official procedure that must be approved as indicated on the withdrawal form. It is the student’s responsibility to initiate withdrawal from the university and to obtain the necessary signatures. Students who leave without following the official procedure are graded appropriately by the instructor. DACC students concurrently enrolled at NMSU must withdraw from both institutions. Withdrawal from NMSU begins at the Registrar’s Office, located in the Educational Services Building on the NMSU campus. Withdrawals from DACC are processed in the Registration Offices of DACC’s campuses and centers

Applicable dates are published in the university calendar for all regular sessions.

Attendance and Student Performance

Students are expected to regularly attend all classes for which they are registered. Valid reasons for missing classes do not relieve the student of making up the work missed nor the responsibility of seeing the instructor about making up any missed work. Specific class attendance requirements are determined by the instructor of the course.

Students making satisfactory progress in their classes will be excused from classes when they are representing DACC during college-sponsored events (e.g., sponsored student organization functions, educational field trips, and conferences). Authorized absences do not relieve the student of his or her class responsibilities. Prior written notice of the authorized absence will be provided to the instructor by the sponsoring faculty or staff adviser.

When the number of absences hinders a student’s progress in a course, the instructor may initiate a statement of the student’s excessive absences including a recommendation of retention or expulsion from the class. Based on the recommendation of the instructor and with the concurrence of the course division dean and the campus academic officer, a student will be dropped for persistent absences or for persistent failure to complete assignments. Similarly, a student may also be dropped from a class for engaging in behavior that interferes with the educational environment of the class. Any student who has been dropped from a class shall have the right to appeal that decision through the Student Academic Grievance Policy.

Only enrolled students for credit or for audit are permitted to attend classes. A student who has officially withdrawn from a course may continue to attend the course with the permission of the instructor for the remainder of the semester. Students not enrolled may visit classes only with the permission of the instructor.

Veterans Attendance and Satisfactory Progress

The Veterans Administration requires all veterans attending under Veterans Educational Assistance Benefits to make satisfactory progress and systematic advancement toward an educational objective, or be liable for overpayments from the Veterans Administration. Satisfactory progress and regular class attendance are expected of such students.

If a veteran receiving benefits is suspended for academic reasons, benefits are terminated and will be restored only after readmission to NMSU/DACC.

If the community college has liability claims filed against it as a result of a veteran failing to meet compliance requirements of the Veterans Administration, the university will not release any academic records on the veteran until such time as the veteran has reimbursed the federal government for funds drawn in violation of those requirements.

A student receiving V.A. benefits who is pursuing an associate degree or certificate through a program offered by DACC should adhere to the curriculum of that program. Failure to do so will result in the student’s being certified for less than full-time status or becoming liable for an overpayment.

Academic Misconduct

Students at DACC are expected to observe and maintain the highest academic, ethical, and professional standards of conduct. Any student found guilty of academic misconduct shall be subject to disciplinary action. Academic misconduct includes, but is not limited to the following actions:

  1. Cheating or knowingly assisting another student in an act of cheating or other forms of academic dishonesty;
  2. Plagiarism, which includes, but is not necessarily limited to, submitting examinations, themes, reports, drawings, laboratory notes, undocumented quotations, computer-processed materials, or other material as one’s own work when such work has been prepared by another person or copied from another person;
  3. Unauthorized possession of examinations, reserve library materials, or laboratory materials;
  4. Unauthorized changing of grades on an examination, in an instructor’s grade book, or on a grade report; or unauthorized access to academic computer records;
  5. Nondisclosure or misrepresentation in filling out applications or other university records in, or for, academic departments or colleges.

Academic Appeals Board

The community college has an academic appeals board, consisting of three faculty members and two students appointed by the campus executive officer. Any student who believes that (s)he has been unjustly treated by a faculty member within the academic process may request a hearing before the academic appeals board. The steps and procedures for the student to follow appear under the heading, “Special Grievance Policy,” in the DACC Student Handbook.

Academic Standing

Academic probation and suspension. Notification to students of academic probation or suspension appears on the student’s grade report at the end of each grading period.

Academic warning. This applies only to new students who are qualified for admission and attending a college or university for the first time. However, the director of admissions may classify as “new” freshmen who have attended a college or university in early-admission status or have attended during a summer prior to their first semester of enrollment. Such students are placed in “warning” status at the end of their first enrollment if they earn less than a 2.0 cumulative GPA, unless the first enrollment is for a summer session. If warned at the end of a combined spring and first summer session, warning status is continued through the second summer session (if applicable).

Warning status is continued if the student withdraws from the university. Probation or suspension status applies to all subsequent enrollments.

Academic probation. Students are placed on probation at the end of a semester or summer session when their cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. However, students entering the university in summer are not placed on probation at the end of that summer if the cumulative GPA drops below 2.0.

Removal of academic probation. Such academic standing is removed when the cumulative GPA is raised to 2.0 or higher, with the following exceptions

  1. A transfer student may not remove probation by summer work alone;
  2. If an I grade is removed after the student has enrolled, the new grade’s effect on academic standing is based on its inclusion with grades for the term for which the student is enrolled;
  3. Exercise of the Adjusted Credit Option does not change academic status until subsequent grades are earned.

Transfer students. Students (admitted under special provisions) whose transcripts indicate less than a 2.0 GPA are admitted on probation.

Continuing in probationary status. Students may continue to enroll while on probation provided they maintain a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher. They are continued on probation if they withdraw from the university while on probation.

Restrictions on enrollment while in probationary status. No student on probation may enroll for more than 15 credits during a semester, or six credits during a summer session, without permission of the campus student services officer.

Students on probation receiving educational benefits from the Veterans Administration must obtain counseling from the office of the campus student services officer at the community college.

Academic suspension. Students enrolled for a semester on probation are suspended when both the semester GPA and cumulative GPA are below 2.0. The first suspension from NMSU/DACC will be for one semester. A student suspended at the end of the fall semester may attend the subsequent summer school if the suspension was for one semester only. The second suspension will be for one calendar year. The third and subsequent suspensions will be for a calendar year, and the student must petition the Academic Deans’ Council, through the director of admissions, for readmission. No credit will be granted for a course taken at other institutions while under suspension from NMSU/DACC.

Effect of summer attendance. Students suspended at the close of the spring semester may have suspension rescinded if they attend one or both of the following summer sessions at NMSU or one of its branch colleges. Such attendance must raise the combined spring semester and summer GPA to 2.0 or above.

A certification of eligibility to attend summer sessions at NMSU after a spring semester suspension is available to the suspended student who wishes to attend summer sessions at other institutions. However, work taken at other institutions has no effect upon the spring semester suspension, nor will it be accepted by NMSU for transfer credit.

NOTE: See section on I grades to determine the effect of removal of I grades on academic standing.

Privacy Rights

The following information has been designated as directory information and is subject to release to the public under Public Law 98-380, The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974: student’s name, address, E-mail address, telephone listing, date and place of birth, major field of study, classification, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student.

Other information regarding disclosure of student data is posted in the DACC Student Services area in compliance with the Act. Requests for withholding directory information must be filed in writing with the NMSU Registrar’s Office by the third Friday of class.

Social Security Numbers in Student Records

Social security numbers are collected from prospective and current students for administrative coordination and record identification purposes only. Although procedures have been established by the registrar for assignment of an alternative number upon request, students who wish to be employed on campus or to receive financial aid are required by law to provide their social security number for administrative use. Further, DACC/NMSU is mandated by federal tax regulations to provide tuition and fee payment information to the student and the Internal Revenue Service, so that applicable education tax credits may be computed. The social security number will be necessary to submit this tax reporting. In the event that the institution does not have the social security number for a student, a reasonable effort will be made to obtain this information. The social security number is a confidential record and is maintained as such by DACC/NMSU in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Graduation Requirements

The ultimate responsibility for planning an academic program in compliance with university, college, and departmental/program requirements rests with the student.

Students planning to graduate must clear all of their accounts with the DACC Cashiers Office. Delinquent accounts due to outstanding balances for tools, books, and personal materials should be cleared in the community college’s Cashiers Office, DAMA 118.

Graduation with Honors

The requirements for designation as a Crimson Scholar Graduate or a Centennial Scholar Graduate are listed in the sections on these programs.

The designation Meritorious Graduate is awarded to the top 15 percent of the students receiving associate degrees within each college in any one academic year, provided 45 or more credits have been completed at NMSU or DACC.

To Graduate with a Certificate

Students must successfully complete the total program as outlined in the course catalog. Any incomplete grade must be made up before the student is awarded the certificate. A certificate fee of $10 is to be paid at the DACC Cashier’s Office, DAMA 118.

To Graduate with an Associate Degree

To earn an associate degree, students must complete a minimum of 66 semester credits and have an average of two grade points per credit in all courses taken at NMSU or any of its branches (individual programs may have other GPA requirements); however, English 111G, Rhetoric and Composition, and basic skills courses in mathematics must be completed with a grade of C or better. In addition, the last 15 semester credits for an associate degree must be taken in residence at NMSU or DACC.

A Note About Occupational Education Courses

Students planning to pursue a four-year degree at New Mexico State University after completing their studies at DACC need to be aware that not all occupational-education courses taken at DACC (usually those with the “OE-” prefix) will apply toward a given major at NMSU. The number of DACC credits that may be counted toward a four-year degree depends on the major selected and any agreements providing for the acceptance of occupational-education courses.
Programs already having such agreements are called “transition” programs, and are listed on page 21. It is best for students to consult advisers at both DACC and NMSU early in their associate degree program to insure that the maximum number of credits will apply toward the bachelor’s degree program selected.

Filing Notice of Degree Candidacy

Students are required to file an application for certificate or associate degree and pay the graduation fee for each degree sought. This fee ($10 for a certificate; $20 for an associate degree) must be included in the total paid at registration for the semester or session in which the candidate anticipates completing degree requirements. These fees may be paid at the DACC Cashiers Office in room 118. If degree requirements are not completed during the semester or session for which the student paid the fee, the student must reapply and pay any fees that may apply.

Student applications for the associate degree and certificate are available at DACC’s Student Services Office. A $25 late fee applies to degree applications received after the last day to register, and no applications will be accepted after the last day to withdraw with a W.

A student may specify choice of either the current catalog at the time of admittance or a subsequent catalog, provided the selected catalog is not more than six years old when (s)he satisfies the requirements for graduation. In all other cases, the student will be subject to the current catalog.

The latest date for substitution or waiver of required courses for candidates for degrees is two weeks after the last date of registration for regular or summer terms. All fees and bills owed the university must be paid before a student may receive a diploma or transcript of credits. Graduation fees must be paid as listed in the section, “Tuition and Fees.”

Transcript of Credits

Recognition of degrees earned is made on the official transcript (academic record) for students completing all requirements for an associate degree.

The charge for official transcripts is $3.00.

No transcript of credits will be released if the student is in debt to the university.

Official name changes on transcripts will be processed only if a student is currently enrolled and written request was submitted.

Attendance at Commencement

DACC certifies eligibility to participate in commencement exercises for students planning to receive an associate degree or a certificate.

DACC holds its own commencement exercises, apart from those conducted by New Mexico State University. Eligible candidates for degrees as well as certificates are encouraged to participate in the commencement ceremony. Students wishing to participate in spring commencement prior to completing degree requirements in the following summer session should call 527-7530 for specific requirements.