ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Administrative Conference Room, Central Campus

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Margaret Lovelace, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, Fred Lillibridge, Jaylene McIntosh, Mary Beth Worley, John Walker, Bernie Piña, Lydia Bagwell, Evelyn Hobbs, Tammy Powers, Jackie Kiefer, Bill Glenn, Fred Owensby, Mozella Garcia, Luly Valencia-Glenn, Vickie Galindo, Mack Adams, Lori Allen, Kathy Reddington, Gladys Chairez, Gerri Martinez, Brad Mazdra, Becky Orduñez, Rosa DeLaTorre-Burmeister, Rosalina Contreras, Jonathan Winans, and Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: John Paulman, Meg Haines, Susana Rodriguez, Nancy Ritter, Ben Altamirano, Emilia O’Neil, and Anthony Gordon

 

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

10:01 a.m.

 

Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to the group.  It’s good to see everyone.  There are great things happening; students are coming back.  Dr. Huerta noted Irene was on vacation so there would be no minutes this meeting.

Informational Item

1 – Fall 2012 Course Offerings at Hatch and Chaparral – Dr. Huerta/Dr. Lovelace

Dr. Huerta noted the division deans with Dr. Lovelace came up with the courses that would be offered at Hatch and Chaparral.  A handout of the courses was provided to the group.  Dr. Huerta added she was working with Mr. Adams on getting administrative assistant hired for Hatch and Chaparral.  We have security for Chaparral and will post the security position for Hatch.  Things are moving along nicely.  Dr. Lovelace noted three courses are being offered at Chaparral in the evening.  We are very optimistic the courses will make.  At Hatch, there are three day courses and two evening courses being offered.  There are also dual credit courses being offered at both which are not listed on the handout.  Dr. Lovelace noted ABE courses will also be offered.  Dr. Huerta noted ABE courses at Chaparral are already being offered.    Dr. Huerta noted the ribbon cutting for Hatch will be August 15.  Ms. Allen asked that room numbers be given to her.  Mr. Mazdra asked the list of courses be emailed to him so he can get the information out to the advisors. 

Informational Item

2 – Facilities Planning Interviews – Mr. Burke

Mr. Burke noted a contract with Architectural Research Consultants (ARC), owner John Petronis, was finalized.  Ms. Susan Freed will be working with DACC.  Mr. Burke noted we tried to get them on board earlier, but we are behind.  This is a new era with enrollment changes and funding changes.  The college will be stepping back a little and look at renovating our existing facilities.  Part of planning will be to figure our how we are going to exist between central and East Mesa.  We will do careful thinking about where we want to go.  Interviews with ARC will be conducted after him and Dr. Huerta meet with ARC.  Mr. Burke noted that if you get a phone call from ARC to set up an appointment, please be responsive to them.  We are going through another phase of facilities planning and will go forward with a local GOB election in February 2013.  The college will probably at for at least $20 million.  Given the economy and change to property taxation, we will stay in that neighborhood.  Mr. Burke noted the college would also like to do some advance work on various sites – site development – so that when we are funded, we will be prepared to build quickly.  Mr. Burke noted Ms. Freed would be here next week to lay out gathering of information and for her to get input on who she will meet with.  One of the concerns/strategies of the contract with ARC is that they lowered their cost of the proposal so they will be strapped for time.  Dr. Huerta noted some of this group will be hearing from ARC.  Please make sure you avail yourself to meet with them.  Dr. Huerta noted she was aware of the shortage of space throughout the college.  We will use the Strategic Plan and really target student services and be able to provide adequate space to provide those services.

Informational Item

3 – Student Complaint Process – Mr. Ledesma

Mr. Ledesma provided the group a handout of his PowerPoint presentation.  Please see end of minutes for the presentation.  Dr. Huerta noted the HLC requires we track.  We have the responsibility to resolve issues.  Mr. Ledesma noted many colleges do this; NMSU, EPCC do not have a process in place.  Dr. Lillibridge noted the college will need to report as part of the next self-study.  Mr. Ledesma noted students will be encouraged to go informally.  His office will keep track either way.  Dr. Huerta asked the group to let Mr. Ledesma know when complaints come to your office.  Dr. Lillibridge noted written formal complaints need to be tracked.  Ms. Galindo asked about non-credit students, are they included?  Dr. Lillibridge answered no they are not required; only financial aid eligible.  Ms. Hobbs asked the form be sent to group.  Mr. Ledesma noted all would be online.  Dr. Lillibridge noted on Share Point not on web.  Dr. Huerta asked if you had any input, please let Mr. Ledesma know.

Informational Item

4 – Student Services Upcoming Events – Mr. Ledesma

Ms. Martinez noted the Mesilla Valley Mall recruitment event was August 4 from 12 noon to 4:00 p.m.  They will have six tables.  Mr. Ledesma noted the Freshman Convocation is scheduled for August 11 from 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon at East Mesa.  The Career Expo at Gadsden will held September 20 from 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon and the Career Expo at Sunland Park will be held on October 18 from 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon.  The Disability Employment Awareness Day will be held on October 25 from 9:00 a.m. to 12 noon.  Ms. Contreras noted the Freshman Boot Camps were held last week.  She is working with Ms. Powers on workshops for freshman (tools to prepare them).  Mr. Ledesma noted Ms. Shannon Bradley, Ms. Michelle Cisneros, Mr. David Caro, Mr. Frank Smith and Mr. Mazdra held workshops at the Boot Camps.  Dr. Lillibridge asked Mr. Ledesma to write up in a paragraph for the record for HLC.  It’s a record of intervention.   Dr. Huerta suggested combining boot camp with freshman convocation.  Dr. Huerta asked the group to put these events on their calendars and support.

Informational Item

5 – Guidelines for Employees Taking Courses – Mr. Adams

Dr. Huerta asked Mr. Adams to provide guidelines for employees who want to take course(s).  There were still questions.  Mr. Adams noted NMSU has a policy and DACC has established guidelines to be consistent.  The guidelines are very simple and similar to those for teaching.  Please see the guidelines after the minutes.  Dr. Pina asked if these were for faculty.  Mr. Adams noted no.  Dr. Garcia asked about interns and the guidelines.  Ms. Valencia-Glenn also asked about interns.  Mr. Burke noted interns should go through their educational program. Ms. Reddington asked about the half hour lunch requirement.  Does that change?  Dr. Lovelace asked if 12 noon to 1:00 p.m. considered lunch.  Mr. Adams noted the lunch hour will vary from employee to employee and office coverage.  Dr. Huerta noted the work needs to get done and employees should work with their supervisor.  The employee is encouraged to take courses but will need to be responsible for getting their work done.  These guidelines will help the college be consistent.  Ms. Hobbs asked if employees can use the tuition waiver and get financial aid.  Ms. Chairez noted anyone can apply and get financial aid.  Mr. Burke noted the employee (non-exempt) is still required to take half hour lunch.  Mr. Adams agreed.  Mr. Adams noted the operational services/needs come first. 

Informational Item

6 – Fall 2012 Convocation – Mr. Burke

Dr. Huerta reminded the group that the Fall 2012 Convocation will be held on Monday, August 20 at 9:00 a.m. in the Auditorium at East Mesa.  Updates will be given.  The evening program for part-time faculty will begin at 6:00 p.m.

Informational Item

7 – New Employee Orientation – Dr. Huerta/Mr. Adams

Dr. Huerta noted she and Mr. Adams would be holding a New Employee Orientation on Tuesday, August 21 at 1:30 p.m.  New employees will be provided information about DACC; an introduction to DACC.  This may be expanded and you may be called upon to provide information.

Informational Item

8 – Announcements

Ms. Reddington noted the contractor for the student services building may take down the fence.  Please note this is still a construction site and no one will be allowed in the building.

Informational Item

 

Ms. Martinez noted Mr. Frank Smith, since the beginning of summer, worked at the J. Paul Taylor Center.  Eleven students are taking online courses.  They are thrilled to have DACC there.  Ms. Martinez attended WNMU orientation to get ideas.

Informational Item

Mr. Ledesma noted four teams have signed up for the volleyball tournament.  Ms. Powers noted they would have a team.  Dr. Huerta noted more teams were needed; please sign up.

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta introduced Ms. Jaylene McIntosh.  She replaced Mr. Tellez.  She comes to DACC with lots of experience in development and community relations.  She worked at The Bulletin, the Community Foundation, and is a community college graduate.  Ms. McIntosh already has some great ideas.  Welcome Ms. McIntosh.

Informational Item

Meeting End Time

11:01 a.m.

 

Next Meeting

Wednesday, September 5, 2012, 10:00 a.m., ACR