ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Friday, September 3, 2010

Administrative Conference Room

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, Fred Lillibridge, John Paulman, John Walker, Bernie Piña, Lydia Bagwell, Teresa Brandon, Rebecca Kongs, Sylvia Nickerson, Tammy Welch, Susan Roberts, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Bill Glenn, Meg Haines, Mozella Garcia, Luly Valencia-Glenn, Lori Allen, Kathy Reddington, Nancy Ritter, Ben Altamirano, Gladys Chairez, Brad Mazdra, Becky Orduñez, Rosa DeLaTorre-Burmeister, Kurt Depner, and Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Margaret Lovelace, Ken Tellez, Fred Owensby, Susana Rodriguez, Kristian Chervenock, Doris Gleason, and Rosalina Contreras

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

10:07 a.m.

 

Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to the group.  Those present were true diehards and not taking an extra day of leave to extend the three day weekend.

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta noted our own Ms. DeLaTorre-Burmeister was a participant in the Domenici Public Policy Conference.  She was on the student panel.  She did a good job.

Informational Item

1 – Approval of the Minutes of July 14, 2010, and August 4, 2010 – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta asked for a motion to approve the minutes of July 14, 2010, and August 4, 2010.  Mr. Ledesma moved to approve the minutes of July 14, 2010.  Dr. Carmen Aguilera-Goerner seconded the motion.  All were in favor, the motion carried.  Dr. Carmen Aguilera-Goerner moved to approve the minutes of August 4, 2010.  Ms. Haines seconded the motion.  All were in favor, the motion carried.  Dr. Huerta noted for the July meeting, Denise took the minutes for Irene.  Irene did the August minutes.  Dr. Huerta wanted to publicly say thank you to Denise and Irene.  The minutes are labor intensive and it takes much work.

Informational Item

 

2 – Year of Transfer Update – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta wanted to mention that this year is the year of transfer.  NMSU has asked Dr. Ramon Dominguez to come back and he will be working with Dr. Wilkins.  He will work with the community colleges on 2+2 programs and articulation agreements.  They will be taking an inventory of all agreements.  She has asked Mr. Ledesma, Mr. Mazdra, and Ms. Calderon to help gather information.  Dr. Huerta asked if anyone knows of an existing agreement please let them know.  The NMSU leadership is taking this seriously and has assigned someone to the task and who better than Dr. Dominguez.  Dr. Huerta noted that a statement on transfer for syllabi is also being looked at.  She will be inviting the NMSU deans to meet with the division deans.  Dr. Huerta noted she had lunch with Dean Garry Carruthers and Associate Dean Kathy Brook.  They are very much interested in coming to meet with our staff.  Dr. Huerta would like NMSU to offer four-year degrees that align with our two-year programs at our satellites to the South.  Dean Carruthers is very interested in doing this.  Dr. Huerta noted we would move full steam ahead with this and she will give updates.  Dr. Aguilera-Goerner reminded everyone that they have an ITV lab at Gadsden that could be used.  Dr. Huerta added this would be discussed with the deans.  We will see more movement on transfer. 

Informational Item

3 – Hiring Time Lines/Deadlines – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta provided a handout to the group on hiring time lines and deadlines.  She is working with Dr. Lovelace and Ms. Gleason on this.  This is for vacant positions.  The goal is make offers by May 2.  This will be shared with Faculty Council.  Position announcements will be emailed to the department chair/program director and division deans on September 15.  Once updated, they need to be sent back to Ms. Gleason.  Ms. Gleason will meet with both Drs. Huerta and Lovelace to get approval.  Screening committee members will be recommended by November 15 and will be approved early December.  The review date for applications will be February 15.  On campus interviews should be held between March 1 and April 8.  Dr. Huerta noted she would like to submit names to NMSU by April 15.  Mr. Burke noted this time line applies only to faculty hiring.  Dr. Lillibridge noted the college did it best job ever of having less TBAs.  Mr. Burke added this also helps clarify the hiring process.  A small discussion followed.

Informational Item

4 – Administrative Reviews – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta provided the group a handout of NMSU’s Policy on administrative reviews.  Dr. Huerta noted Faculty Council, at their first meeting, brought up administrative reviews of administrators.  Mr. Depner noted he was approached by a faculty member asking if administrative reviews needed to done; they thought it was time.  Dr. Huerta noted she is working with Ms. Gleason on this and yes, administrative reviews would be completed.  She noted she has been here 10 years and there has been only two college wide reviews and the last one was five years ago.   The reviews should be done 3 ½ years since the person started and then every 5 years after that.    Dr. Huerta is looking at the policy and she will get a list of those who fall under the policy from Ms. Gleason including hire date.  This has been mentioned to the Academic Leadership Team.  We will move forward.  Dr. Huerta noted she will look at directors as well and possibly coordinators if policy states.  She will work with Ms. Gleason to make sure policy is followed.  Mr. Depner noted he wanted a list of those who will be up for review as faculty would like input.  Dr. Huerta noted input would be solicited when the reviews go out.  She will work with NMSU IR Office to send out and receive reviews.  The president for example would be sent to all faculty and staff and also community members.  Mr. Burke thought who is up when can be shared.  Dr. Huerta noted this was important.  You are all leaders and it’s important to know what people think about your leadership.  There are personal agendas out there and sometimes people do not agree with our decisions or the decisions the college makes, but it still important to do reviews.  It’s nice to hear the good stuff and to look at everything.  Dr. Huerta noted that she looks at everything very carefully.  Don’t be afraid.  Dr. Huerta also wanted to let everyone know that we will not be singling anybody out and as noted earlier, this was brought to the table by Faculty Council.  We will follow policy and move forward.

Informational Item

5 – Space Usage – Dr. Huerta/Dr. Lillibridge

Dr. Huerta noted at the recent mid-cycle review meeting space usage was discussed.  She asked Dr. Lillibridge to work with a small group to look at space usage at the college.  Dr. Lillibridge noted the college’s enrollment hit 9,823 students.  Dr. Huerta noted this may hit 10,000 by the end of the semester and as the college continues to grow, we need space for both credit and non-credit.  We need to get away from “this is mine.”  We cannot work like that anymore.  Dr. Huerta noted there are problems in the southern county.  We will be offering associate degrees and certificates in their entirety in the south.  There are also great demands for ABE.  We will look at this very closely because we cannot continue to function this way.  Ms. Kongs noted there was space at the Workforce Center if needed.  Ms. Brandon noted Mr. Perez could use this space for criminal justice.  Dr. Huerta noted this was great.  She also noted that we have some classrooms at certain times that are empty.  We will be pushing for more weekend classes and programs.  She asked Mr. Depner to help her with this.  Dr. Huerta noted we have to change the way we do things.  We need to offer more evening and weekend courses.  A small discussion followed.  Dr. Huerta noted we needed to offer evening and weekend courses and market them.  Dr. Garcia noted there is growth in students seeking tutoring in chemistry and biology on the Las Cruces campus.  The SSC also is in need of space.  Dr. Huerta noted the bigger picture would be moving more general education to East Mesa.  She is not convinced this is happening.  When we do this, we can then deal with space issues at this campus.   We can also deal with space here when protective services, education, and EMS move to East Mesa.  Dr. Garcia noted East Mesa is fully covered with tutors.  Dr. Huerta asked Mr. Depner to get information to faculty and Faculty Council.  Mr. Altamirano asked what is keeping students here.  Dr. Huerta noted where we offer courses is something we need to analyze.  She remembers when Ms. Ann Rohovec was offering a weekend package from Friday evening to Saturday.  Mr. Depner also noted accessibility needed to be expanded.  Dr. Huerta added student services also needed to be expanded.  We may need to look a flex schedules; not new positions.  Mr. Mazdra noted that times still overlap.  Dr. Huerta noted that had come up at Exec.  Mr. Mazdra noted we were not strategically planning.  Dr. Lillibridge noted there are 94 starting times and 150 plus ending times.  Dr. Huerta noted a meeting would be scheduled and advisors would be invited.  We have a lot of work to do.

Informational Item

7 – Sunland Park Phase 3 – Mr. Burke

Mr. Burke noted a strategic planning meeting was held and reviews of possible programs were done.  This is excellent opportunity with the upcoming bond sale of $10 million from the 2009 local bond election to do these things:  $6 million for East Mesa (culinary arts, protective services, education, and a student services complex) and $4 million for Sunland Park.   There is also $5.6 million for Gadsden in the statewide bond election in November.  We need to plan for the future and possibly do some specific programs targeting the South.  Mr. Burke noted where we will have limitations is the specialized equipment, etc.  The window is not really long – next six months.  We need to get organized with administration and academic areas and find a method of receiving input – survey of everyone’s ideas.  Mr. Burke noted he is really excited about enrollment, but it has created a space problem.  Our only relief will be when the Early College High School moves.

Informational Item

Mr. Burke noted with respect to F13, we have a big project at East Mesa.  We are full at both Sunland Park and Gadsden.  We need to be more creative in how space is utilized.  Ms. Aguilera-Goerner noted there are parking problems.  She asked if the land beyond the fence is DACC’s.  Mr. Burke noted 12 acres is DACC’s.  He asked that she look at the schematic and look to see what we have.  He noted there is an opportunity for site development and to evaluate parking at both Sunland Park and Gadsden.  Dr. Huerta noted Gadsden grew 20%.  This is in part due to the efforts we have done with dual credit and we will continue to see this.    Mr. Burke noted that we had the preconceived notion that we were not scheduling enough at East Mesa.  It’s not that we have not transferred courses there; it is that there is a lot of demand at this campus – general studies, ABE, health and the Early College High School.  This is a popular place and also NMSU’s need for developmental courses.  We have been lucky in receiving both local and state funding for facilities. 

Informational Item

6 – 2010-11 State Funding &Budget Process  – Mr. Burke

Mr. Burke noted an audit was done on both UNM and NMSU by the Legislative Finance Committee.   They are looking for money.  Higher education has grown across the state.  Workload funding is based on enrollment growth.  This FY DACC received $61 million and the state just cut funding by 3% which is $600,000-700,000.  Deduct the tuition credit and this is a big cut.  The LFC is talking about a 3% recurring cut.  Mr. Burke noted that something has got to give.  We have a dilemma in higher education and growth in a down economy is a real problem.  Mr. Burke is working on the State Formula Funding Task Force and our $61 million will not be funded.  Most likely it will be 3% cut recurring.  The Task Force is trying to come up with ideas and changes.  Using an average for prior 3 years instead of prior year average.  In DACC’s case, there would be no enrollment growth for 2011-12, but there will be an opportunity to get funding in the future.  This is the initial recommendation.  Mr. Burke noted the reality is there is no funding for growth.  Dr. Huerta added there will be no new monies.  She noted the NM Higher Education Department Advisory Board has also had these talks.  There will be no new positions for growth.  There may be a special session in October with more cuts.  Mr. Burke noted his take on things is that he has hedged for the last year possible.  The college will need to make some tough decisions on scheduling – 0% for scheduling which is scary.  Dr. Huerta noted we offer 1300 sections and we may need to stay at this number.  Mr. Burke noted we needed to start planning today.  Mr. Ledesma noted he, Ms. Chairez, and Ms. Orduñez met about what they are doing at CNM.  Ms. Orduñez noted CNM has stopped taking admission applications.  Mr. Burke noted DACC will continue to take applications; we just need to plan.  Dr. Lillibridge asked what was happening at NMSU.  Dr. Huerta noted they have 0% growth.  Dr. Wilkins has asked why the community colleges are not teaching the 100 and 200 level courses.  Mr. Burke noted this was philosophical, but food for thought.  He also noted the Legislature is recommending funding based on course completion which means no funding for Ws and Fs.  This is a national trend.  The Funding Task Force is recommending to fund on an average.  Mr. Burke noted we needed to look at early disenrollment and at those students “gaming the system.”  Is every student coming here for the right reason?  Dr. Huerta thanked Mr. Burke.  This upcoming Legislative session will be a long one.  A small discussion followed.

Informational Item

8 – Student Survey of Instruction – Dr. Walker

Dr. Walker noted he had been directed by administration to look at pencil/paper versus online surveys.  The college will be moving back to pencil and paper surveys.  Online courses will remain with online surveys.  Dr. Huerta noted she had asked about the response rate between surveys.  The rate was dismal for online.  Our response rate for pencil/paper was 60%.  Dr. Walker noted his office studied the rates at other colleges.  There are a lot of issues in requiring students to do the survey.  He is working very closely with Dr. Lillibridge.  He is also asking for the division deans, program directors and department chairs to get the word out and encourage students.  There will be 15 questions and they are trying to nail down the questions.

Informational Item

9 – Update on Distance Education Committee Recommendations – Dr. Walker

Dr. Walker noted there had been several questions about office hours, how often on campus, authenticity, and quality in distance education.  The committee at their first meeting discussed office hours and they have recommended that it should be same for all faculty.  These are preliminary recommendation.  Dr. Huerta noted she had asked Dr. Walker to look at this and would like consistency.  The College of Health & Social Services at NMSU required one office hour per one hour course.  She would also like Faculty Council input.  Dr. Walker noted the meetings were open to everyone.  Dr. Huerta noted she would like a representative from Faculty Council on the committee.  She noted we have 3,000 online students and 223 sections offered online.  She has also asked Ms. Welch to help.  Dr. Huerta noted NMSU has also not worked this out.

Informational Item

10 – Nominations for the Distinguished Alumni Award – Dr. Huerta/Mr. Tellez

Dr. Huerta thanked those who have submitted nominations for the distinguished alumni award.  She also asked that while we love our employees; please look out into the community.   If you have someone to nominate, please do so.  The Distinguished Alumni Award Ceremony will be Saturday, October 30.

Informational Item

11 – Chaparral Center Groundbreaking Ceremony – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted the groundbreaking at Chaparral will be Friday, September 10 at 10:00 a.m. in the parking lot of Chaparral High School.  We have partnered with the high school and they will have the marching band play and the culinary art students doing the refreshments.  There will student speakers from ABE and the dual credit program.  She would love to see everyone there.  The architects and NMSU architects have been invited as well as dignitaries.

Informational Item

12 – 2010 Workforce Summit – Ms. Haines

Ms. Haines provided handouts.  She noted this was a wonderful event. This year’s committee includes Irene, Drs. Glenn and Walker, and Ms. Gleason.  The handouts included a flyer, the draft agenda, and levels of sponsorship.  International Schools is the co-sponsor of the event and both MVEDA and SBDC are the breakfast sponsors.  The keynote speaker is Ms. Ann Rhoades from People Inc.  The committee has listened and employers are interested in values.  Mr. Carter Campbell will do behavioral assessment.  We will have a green update.  There will also be several resource segments that will have clients.  The chambers have also been invited and there will be exhibitors as well.  Dr. Huerta asked everyone to support it.  It’s a great place to network with businesses in our community.  She is proud of the committee

Informational Item

13 – Announcements

Dr. Lillibridge noted him, Mr. Ledesma, and Dr. Piña attended the Foundations in Excellence conference.  This is part of the Title V grant.  There will be two surveys happening quickly – one for faculty and staff and one for students.  The Title V grant should be implemented beginning October 1.

Informational Item

Ms. Kongs noted her and Mr. Byrnes met with the new department head of CMI.  It was a great meeting and he would like us to “grow back together.”  She is also meeting with the associate dean of the College of Engineering to work on a transition track.

Informational Item

Ms. Welch handed out information on the Bond “B”.  Dr. Huerta noted it was really important for everyone to vote.

Informational Item

Ms. DeLaTorre-Burmeister noted the Governor’s Southern NM Job Fair will be Thursday, September 9 starting at 9:30 a.m.  DACC is a sponsor.  There are 65 employers signed up.  Dr. Huerta asked the group to send students.

Informational Item

Mr. Depner noted he is working on mid-term madness and he is encouraging faculty to get involved.  Dr. Huerta noted that mid-term progress reports are so important.  It is unacceptable to not let students know how they are doing.  Dr. Piña noted he requires mid-term grades.

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta noted Professional Development Day is September 17-18.  There are no classes on September 17.

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta noted the Community College Round Up is September 24-25 in Alamogordo.

 

Next Meeting

Friday, October 1, 2010, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

Meeting End Time

11:40 a.m.