ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Friday, June 6, 2008

10:00 a.m., ACR

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Anna Chieffo, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, John Walker, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Sylvia Nickerson, Susan Roberts, Bill Glenn, Meg Haines, Fred Owensby, John Paulman, Lori Allen, Doris Gleason, Kathy Reddington, Ben Altamirano, Brad Mazdra, Becky Orduñez, Larry Sharp, Ken Tellez, David Twitty, and Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Fred Lillibridge, Lydia Bagwell, David Pearse, Jerry Welch, J.B. Carrica, Susan Rodriguez, Mozella Garcia, Tammy Welch, Kelly Brooks, and Gladys Chairez

GUESTS: Stephanie Haan-Amato for Fred Lillibridge, Kim Seifert for Lydia Bagwell, Oscar Quintela for Tammy Welch, and Geri Martinez for Gladys Chairez, Corrina Trujillo

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

10:00 a.m.

 

Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to the group.  She noted today the Regents would announce the Interim President for NMSU.  She is sad to see Dr. Martin leave, but is happy for LSU.

Informational Item

1 – Approval of the Minutes of April 4, 2008, and May 2, 2008 – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta asked for a motion to approve the minutes of April 4 and May 2.  She thanked Irene.  Dr. Sharp motioned to approve the minutes of April 4, 2008, and May 2, 2008.  Mr. Tellez seconded the motion.  All were in favor, the motion carried.  Irene will post on the web.

The minutes of April 4, 2008, & May 2, 2008, were approved. Irene will post on web.

2 – Class Schedule and Faculty Assignments Verification  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted this agenda item was for the credit division deans.  Human Resources have been handling correspondence with the wrong instructor for the course or with no faculty listed.  There were 111 imperfections for this spring.  Dr. Huerta noted there is no excuse for this.  This causes problems for student evaluations.  This amounts to 10% of the schedule.  Dr. Chieffo will work with the division deans to work on time lines.  We will hold people accountable.  Dr. Huerta noted that some faculty were not getting paid.  This is not the secretary’s fault.  Enough is enough.  Mr. Burke noted the schedule is a way that HR verifies information and that HR is not responsible for making sure the instructor is correct.  There have been duplicates and adjustments.  Mr. Seifert asked if this was the printed schedule.  Ms. Gleason noted yes they use the printed schedule and they will work with Dr. Lillibridge to get updated information.  Mr. Seifert asked about banner.  Dr. Chieffo noted this will be a collaborative effort and they will look at e-hires with reports.  She added we needed to have alignment correct from the get go.  Dr. Huerta noted corrections will happen no later than census date from now on.  She is requesting again for as little TBAs because this continues to be a problem.

Dr. Chieffo will work with division deans (credit) on time lines for getting information on schedule corrected.  Dr. Huerta would like corrections done by census date.  Dr. Huerta requested division deans limit the TBAs on the schedule. 

3 – Public School Summer Program  – Dr. Chieffo

Dr. Huerta asked Dr. Chieffo to give an update on the exciting things happening with the public schools. 

 

b.  Gear UP Summer Camp, June 22-27, 2008

Dr. Chieffo introduced Ms. Corrina Trujillo who is the Southern New Mexico Coordinator.  She is currently housed at our Gadsden Center.  Ms. Trujillo noted this was a six year grant through 2012, and that she works with eight schools: Gadsden, Hatch, Deming, Portales, Lovington, and Tularosa.  The goal is to get students exposed to college and attending college.  The camp here at DACC is full with 60 incoming high school freshmen: 45 from GISD and 15 from Lovington.  There are three career areas: robotics, health, and math & science.  The camp is for one week and the students will be housed at NMSU.  The group will be split with students here at this campus and students at East Mesa.  Ms. Trujillo noted that next year they will try to hold the camp the entire month of June.  Mr. Owensby asked if a business component could be added next year.  Ms. Trujillo answered yes.  Ms. Nickerson noted ABE had a two year Gear UP grant and they have a fully developed curriculum.  Anyone is welcomed to see what ABE has.  Ms. Trujillo noted the students have to do two college visits while participating in the program.  Ms. Trujillo provided the group with the newsletter Gear UP puts out.  She noted she did not have enough copies, but you could get online and get it off their website.  Ms. Trujillo noted she was looking forward to working with everyone.  Dr. Chieffo thanked the folks who had worked hard on putting this together including Ms. Leilani Benoit who is the curriculum coordinator.  Dr. Huerta thanked Ms. Trujillo.

Information Item

a. LCPS Senior Credit Recovery, May 24-July 3

Dr. Chieffo noted Dr. Sanchez of the Las Cruces Public Schools requested that DACC consider helping seniors needing one or two credits to graduate.   The Senior Success Academy was developed for this purpose.  Dr. Chieffo provided a handout.  There are 40 or so students attending and earning dual credit.   The majority of the students needed refresher math and English.   Mr. Burke asked how the math and English courses were listed in the schedule.  Dr. Chieffo noted they were listed under COLL155.  Mr. Burke noted the college would need to check with NM HED if it continues to grow.  Mr. Mazdra noted they needed to know how to interpret COLL155 on the transcript.  Dr. Chieffo noted the students will take the Compass before and after.  Dr. Huerta noted good things were happening with LCPS.

Information Item

4  Freshman Convocation – Mr. Ledesma

Mr. Ledesma noted as part of the first year experience, Freshman Convocation would be held for incoming freshman in 2008-2009.  The convocation will be held on Saturday, August 9, 2008, and will introduce students and their parents to our programs, services, and personnel.  The students will make connections with department chairs/program directors, division deans, division advisors, student clubs, and student services.  The benefits to the college include greater engagement, improved retention rates, and improved graduation rates.  Mr. Ledesma noted the agenda would include:

-          a welcome

-          speakers on services

-          lunch

-          breakout to division deans

-          breakout to department chairs/program directors

There will be door prizes and each student will be given a DACC t-shirt.  Two hundred students and their parents will be invited.  All new incoming freshmen will be invited.

Informational Item

5  2008 Business Owners & Entrepreneurs Symposium – Mr. Owensby

Dr. Huerta noted Mr. Owensby is here to give information on the upcoming Business Owners & Entrepreneurs Symposium being held on June 26-27, 2008.  Mr. Owensby noted a great job to Mr. Ledesma on the convocation.  He provided the agenda to the group and noted it could also be found on the website.  The symposium will promote business owners and entrepreneurs. This is the first annual and will be held at the Hotel Encanto.  This is the first comprehensive symposium in the area and is being targeted to Southern New Mexico.  Next year we may make it a statewide event.  Mr. Owensby noted Dr. Huerta would be the MC.  We have great line up with Mr. Jim Cremin as one of the lunch speakers.  We also have local people including Mr. Steve Chavira and Mr. Fred Espinoza for the morning session.  There will also be plenty of time to network.  There will be eight different sessions offered twice for each day.  On day two, Mr. David Hira, a magician/motivational speaker will be our keynote.  Former Governor Garrey Carruthers will wrap up the symposium.  Mr. Owensby noted there will be a panel on the state of the local economy.  The cost of the symposium is $149.  Tables will be given to divisions for $800 (regular $1192) for eight people.  Dr. Huerta noted we should support each other and encouraged those who were interested to attend.  Ms. Haines noted we were trying to make it lead into the summit.  Ms. Nickerson suggested Mr. Owensby contact Mr. Steve Duran.  Dr. Huerta noted she would be happy to give information to NMACC. 

Informational Item

6  Marketing Efforts – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted she had asked Mr. Paulman, Mr. Mark Vasconsuellos, Ms. Rebecca Kongs, and others to start thinking about marketing strategies.  She would like a TV commercial for fall and also a film for the bond election campaign.  Dr. Huerta noted the college was doing exciting things.

Informational Item

8  Equipment Process – Mr. Burke

Mr. Burke noted equipment requests have been approved.  There was $500,000 requested and shy of that amount was approved.  Computer related requests approved will be initiated by Computer Support.  Mr. Burke noted there are several compelling reasons why the process will be pushed forward.  For planning purposes, the equipment process will be done at the same time as the budget process.  We will have information sooner.  Ms. Allen noted ITAC was refreshing their plan on when to replace equipment.  Mr. Burke added the committee will be working on formalizing policy. 

Informational Item

7 Fall 2008 Convocation – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted we will be starting our 35th Anniversary celebration with fall convocation.  This year for convocation we will be having a picnic at convocation.  There will be a regular program in the morning which part-time faculty will be invited to.  Dr. Huerta would like everyone to provide Rod Santos a photo of you from 1973.  Please label with your name.  Mr. Paulman asked for any photos of instruction from back then to be sent to him.  The celebration will begin at 11:30 with the picnic and music.  Mr. Altamirano is working on getting a band together to play music.   Dr. Huerta added that there will also be volleyball, horseshoes, and dancing.  Tents, for shade, and chairs will be set up in the gazebo area.  Hamburgers, hotdogs, and snow cones will be featured.  The celebration will be from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.  The fall 2008 convocation is scheduled for Monday, August 18, 2008.

Informational Item

9 – Announcements / Other

Dr. Huerta noted this would be Mr. Twitty’s last day on Admin Council.  He will be the Faculty Council President for the next few weeks.  Mr. Twitty noted there was still $5,000 that was committed but no one had submitted anything.  This needs to be taken care of.  The new president is Mr. Mike Adams with Mr. Joaquin Tadeo the president elect.  Dr. Huerta thanked Mr. Twitty.  There was applause from the group.

Informational Item

Ms. Reddington noted there would be another fire alarm test on Monday morning.

Informational Item

Mr. Twitty asked when construction on the Technical Building would begin. Mr. Burke noted proposals were reviewed on June 4.  The price was high.  We will be going to the Regents to increase the budget in July.  If all goes well, the contract will be awarded.  We will not start as early as anticipated. 

Informational Item

Ms. Haines provided the group handouts of several training sessions:  Notary Workshop on June 21; Indispensable Assistant on June 25; and FranklinCovey two day Project Management Training on July 10-11.

Informational Item

Mr. Burke noted the general marketing for the grand opening of the Workforce Center needs to be done.  This would be a good fall lead in.  Dr. Huerta noted the ribbon cutting for the new Dental Lab would also need to be done.

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta noted she had spoken to Ms. Haines about buying a book for each Admin Council member.  She would like a book on leadership and/or management.

Informational Item

 

Mr. Ledesma noted a flat screen TV had been approved for both the Commons Area and the Great Hall.  This will give divisions an opportunity to make announcements.  Mr. Altamirano will coordinate. 

Informational Item

Mr. Owensby noted the group should take a close look at the FranklinCovey course.  It is really worth your time.

Informational Item

Irene reminded the group that the July meeting would be held on Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 10:00 a.m., ACR.

Informational Item

Next Meeting

Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

Meeting End Time

11:25 a.m.