ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Friday, July 13, 2007

10:00 a.m., ACR

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Anna Chieffo, Ike Ledesma, John Walker, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, David Pearse, Jerry Welch, Bill Glenn, J.B. Carrica, Susan Roberts, Rosa Lopez, John Paulman, Kelly Brooks, Doris Gleason, Kathy Reddington, Ben Altamirano, Brad Mazdra, Becky Orduñez, Ken Tellez, David Twitty, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Andy Burke, Lydia Bagwell, Sylvia Nickerson, Molly Morris, Fred Owensby, Susana Rodriguez, Lori Allen, Gladys Chairez, Larry Sharp

GUESTS: Jon Juarez for Lydia Bagwell, Oscar Quintela for Molly Morris, Tony Sanchez, Marcy Oxford

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

10:03 a.m.

 

Dr. Huerta noted good morning to the group.  She just came from main campus where she attended President’s Cabinet.  Dr. Huerta noted new to the table Mr. David Twitty.  He is the incoming Faculty Council president and will be attending Administrative Council meetings.  She also noted Mr. Jon Juarez attending for Ms. Bagwell and Mr. Oscar Quintela attending for Ms. Morris.

 

Dr. Huerta also introduced Dr. Marcy Oxford and will let the group know more as the meeting goes on.

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

1 – Thank You to Tony Sanchez – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta invited Mr. Tony Sanchez who is retiring after 34 years of service.  Mr. Sanchez did not want accolades, but Dr. Huerta wanted to thank him for his hard work, service, dedication, and loyalty to the college.  The group gave Mr. Sanchez a standing ovation.

Informational Item

2 – Approval of the Minutes of June 6, 2007 – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta asked for a motion to approve the minutes of June 6, 2007.  Mr. Walker moved to approve the minutes of June 6, 2007.    Mr. Tellez seconded motion with changes to page 1 (change director to coordinator under Item 3 Oscar Quintela) and page 4 (change 1016 to 2016) under Item 6 last paragraph).  All were in favor with changes, motion carried.  Irene will make the changes and post on the web.

Minutes of June 6, 2007, were approved with changes.  Irene will make changes and post on web.

3 – Title V RFP – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta introduced Dr. Marcy Oxford.  Dr. Oxford will be writing our Title V Grant.  She currently works for the Las Cruces Public Schools and has written three grants for them.  Dr. Oxford received her doctorate from NMSU in curriculum and instruction.  Also from NMSU, she received her Master of Arts Degree in Education and her Bachelor of Science in Agriculture.

 

The Title V RFP is due on August 10, 2007.  We will put together a team to work with Dr. Oxford.  Dr. Oxford noted she was excited to be working with the college.  She also noted the best grant writing was done at the 11th hour.  When she calls, please call back.  Ms. Brooks noted we need 5-8 days before due date to get it through the NMSU system.  Dr. Oxford noted August 3 is the drop dead deadline.  Dr. Huerta noted the strategic priorities would be folded into the grant.  Priority #1 graduation rates and priority #6 state-of-the-art technology will be the main focus.  Mr. Ledesma will provide Dr. Oxford with strategic priority #1 and Irene will provide her with #6.  Dr. Huerta asked that if you are called upon, we do need your help.  We will be working fast and furious.  Dr. Huerta appreciates everyone’s input.  NMSU will also be submitting a grant. They will decide which one of two grants will be submitted – College of Engineering or College of Extended Learning.  Dr. Lillibridge noted there would be much nationwide competition.  Dr. Huerta thanked everyone in advance.

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A team will be put together to work with Dr. Oxford.  If called upon, please respond.  Tight deadline.

4 – HLC Update – Drs. Chieffo & Lillibridge

Dr. Chieffo noted all the sub-committees had submitted their reports.   Ms. Susan Wood created five chapters with these reports and has completed nine chapters to date.  The site visit is scheduled for April 28-30, 2008.  To get student input, a questionnaire was given at our various spring flings.  We received 500 responses which showed students were happy.  Dr. Lillibridge noted his unit has been providing most of the administrative support – staging, collecting things, etc. – and Ms. Wood has it well in hand.  We will need fresh eyes to review draft early.  Your input is really needed.  Dr. Huerta noted we plan to set up a link to announce at convocation.  Staff can start looking at the progress.  Dr. Huerta also noted the assessment plans still needed. 

Reports due in February and not received:

B&I -- BOT, Library Science, Paralegal, and Computer Tech

Health -- Fire Science and Law Enforcement

Technical -- CMT, Drafting/Design, Electrical Apprenticeship, Building Construction Trades, HVAC, and Welding Technology

General Studies -- all were received

Reports due in July and not received:

B&I -- BOT, Paralegal, Computer Technology, and Library Science

Technical and General Studies: need all. 

 

Dr. Huerta asked the Divisions to please get these submitted ASAP.  If you need Ms. Wood to attend your division meetings, please let her know.  Dr. Lillibridge noted these were critical to our accreditation.  We need to show.  Dr. Huerta added that the response to our PIF requested we show a comprehensive assessment plan.  Dr. Chieffo noted Ms. Wood is out summer session II, but she is available to help.  This is a cycle:  plan, report, and improve.  Dr. Huerta noted this was mandatory, not optional.  Dr. Huerta noted what HLC reported on our assessment plan:  The assessment program is in its planning and early implementation stages.  While the stated learning outcomes are clear, the College will need to progress into full implementation, analysis of data and program improvement to meet Criterion 3.  There was a discussion on coding courses for distance education, Library, and Banner.  Dr. Huerta asked Dr. Chieffo, Mr. Ledesma, Dr. Lillibridge, Dr. Walker, and Mr. Quintela to work on this and let Ms. Wood know the correct information.  Dr. Huerta noted another concern was our relationship with NMSU.  She and Dr. Chieffo met with Dr. Jozi De Leon and Dr. Cynda Clary regarding this issue.  Dr. De Leon has agreed to write the first draft to this issue.  The college is very much on target.  Dr. Lillibridge noted it would be useful if HLC was reflected in the minutes of division and department meetings.  Dr. Lillibridge added that when Ms. Wood asks for something, we need it.  Dr. Huerta noted this has major implications.  Dr. Chieffo added the resource room will require lots of documentation that proves what we do.

Divisions please get your assessment plans to Ms. Wood ASAP.  This is mandatory.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If asked for information or documentation, please provide.  Very important.

5 – Office Assignments – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted Ms. Reddington has been working with Mr. Burke on looking at our office space and assigning offices to new hires.  There is limited space.  Dr. Huerta noted as we relocate people, please bear with us.

Informational Item

6 – Enrollment Trends – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Lillibridge noted we were down 3.7% for fall 07.  We were up 9.7% last year at this same time.  Mr. Ledesma noted 15 more orientations are scheduled before fall and they are all full.  Mr. Paulman suggested a more personal touch by getting high school lists, dividing list, and calling students.  Mr. Ledesma noted they call all students who have been disenrolled and those who have been admitted but have not enrolled.  Ms. Orduñez noted admission applications are up.  Dr. Huerta noted we were looking at doing a media blitz starting next week.

Informational Item

7 – Strategic Priorities – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted as soon as she gets a final copy of the strategic priorities from the chairs, she will distribute to this group for feedback.  They will then go to the Executive Team.  Chairs please send the final to Dr. Lillibridge and Irene.  Irene will distribute to this group.  Mr. Welch wanted to thank his group.  It was a great joint effort.

Strategic Priority chairs to send final copy to Irene. Irene will distribute to this group for feedback.

8 – Announcements / Other

Dr. Huerta asked for any announcements:

 

Ms. Gleason noted salary letters were attached to today’s pay checks.  If you did not get a letter, please see her.  Please remind non exempt staff that raises will not be reflected until their July 31 check.   There is also mandatory training on the bargaining agreement for supervisors.  There will be one here at DACC on July 19 from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.  Ms. Gleason recommends you read the contract before attending the training.

 

Dr. Chieffo noted there is a draft master calendar (Aug 07 – July 08).  Please e-mail Ms. Vicki Haggard items you would like included in the calendar by August 1.

 

Dr. Walker noted they would be piloting student evaluations on-line during Summer II.

 

Dr. Huerta noted Mr. Walker is now Dr. Walker.  Congratulations.  The group applauded. 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please send Vicki Haggard master calendar items by August 1.

 

Informational Item

 

 

Informational Item

Next Meeting

Friday, August 3, 2007, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

Meeting End Time

11:04 a.m.