ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, January 12, 2007
10:00 a.m., ACR

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Anna Chieffo, Andy Burke, John Walker, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Lydia Bagwell, David Pearse, Jerry Welch, Sylvia Nickerson, J.B. Carrica, Rosa Lopez, Fred Owensby, Susana Rodriguez, Fred Lillibridge, John Paulman, Lori Allen, Kelly Brooks, Doris Gleason, Kathy Reddington, Ben Altamirano, Brad Mazdra, Tim Chappell, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Ike Ledesma, Molly Morris, Bill Glenn, Susan Roberts, Gladys Chairez, Larry Sharp

GUESTS: Oscar Quintela for Molly Morris

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time 10:06 a.m.

Dr. Huerta welcomed everyone. She hopes everyone is looking forward to a three day weekend. Dr. Huerta thanked everyone for their attendance and participation at Convocation yesterday.

Dr. Huerta welcomed Ms. Bagwell to her first day with the group as Interim Division Dean. We are glad to have her. Mr. Quintela is here for Ms. Morris who will be out the next two weeks.



Informational




Informational
1 - Distribution of the Minutes of December 1, 2006 - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted the minutes of December 1, 2006, were distributed with the agenda. Please look over and let Irene know changes. Dr. Huerta asked Ms. Allen for help in getting the minutes posted on the web. It has been Dr. Huerta's commitment to have them posed. Please let Irene know any changes to Dec. 1 2006, minutes.
2 - 2007 - 2008 Budget Request Process - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta referred to the memo from Mr. Burke on the budget process. This year, for the first time, there will be a preliminary budget meeting. Also attached is the time line given for each unit for the preliminary meeting. The Exec Team would like, at this preliminary meeting, each unit to give the unit's staffing needs (full time faculty and staff) for the upcoming budget process. We would like to get a sense of the needs. Please come with justification for any full time position request. Mr. Burke noted we are going to have to bear down. We will really need to focus on Nursing. Mr. Chappell asked who would present for Faculty Council. Dr. Huerta noted this meeting would be for staffing needs only so Faculty Council will not need to present. Ms. Aguilera-Goerner noted if it was the intent to move up the search process. Dr. Huerta noted no, but that we could possibly advertise early. Mr. Burke suggested starting early with draft position announcements. Dr. Huerta added that several positions that were not filled will be advertised this month. We want to eliminate late offers. She asked division deans to start developing announcements. Dr. Huerta suggested getting with Ms. Gleason on the common information on the announcements. Mr. Burke noted the requests should follow what was submitted in your operating plans. Dr. Chieffo asked for clarification on who should attend; department chairs, program directors. Mr. Burke noted it was up to each unit. This will not be a decision making meeting. We would like to identify issues sooner.. Dr. Huerta asked that the division dean be the speakers, but that department chairs and program directors can come. Ms. Brooks asked if this would impact schedules. Mr. Burke noted that they are related. Dr. Chieffo asked the division deans to let us know the impact to the schedule. Please come to preliminary budget meeting prepared to present your staffing needs including justification. Also, include if this will impact the schedule. Draft position announcements for new faculty/staff can also be started.
3 - Exempt and Non Exempt Staff Evaluation Process - Dr. Huerta & Ms. Gleason Dr. Huerta noted the exempt and non exempt evaluations were around the corner. She has asked Ms. Gleason to let us know the deadline dates when she knows. Dr. Huerta has been informed that in the past, DACC was not in synch with main campus. Evaluations should be reviewed by the reviewer (and supervisor) before it is given to the employee. DACC did not do this. We will be complying with the policy starting this year. Dr. Lillibridge asked if the same forms would be used. Ms. Gleason noted yes. Ms. Nickerson asked if the non exempt form has been changed or improved. Ms. Gleason noted no. This had been tied to broadbanding and broadbanding is on hold. Mr. Paulman asked if broadbanding had been set. Mr. Burke noted the set time has changed several times. A new date has not been set. Human Resources is working on a contract with the union. Dr. Huerta noted that as we get information on the evaluations from main campus, we will send out. Dr. Huerta also noted a concern from main campus on using all 10s. Please think about what you give your employees. We could possibly provide training or discussions on evaluations if needed. Ms. Gleason noted that if you give all 10s, maybe we need to check the duties. Mr. Paulman noted it was culture and if reset the morale will be affected. Mr. Burke noted this was a preliminary discussion for you to rethink evaluations and is something that needs to be fixed over time. Please discuss with employees when evaluating. Change is coming and nobody is perfect. Dr. Huerta asked everyone to start thinking about this and Ms. Gleason will send information as she gets it. Dr. Chieffo asked if training can be done for supervisors. Dr. Huerta noted that it can be worked on. We do not want to be caught off guard. Please rethink how you evaluate your staff. Also, policy will be followed: you will review evaluation with the reviewer prior to reviewing with employee.
4 - The Migration Strategy to Blackboard CE6 - Mr. Quintela Dr. Huerta asked Mr. Quintela to give the group an update on the migration to Blackboard CE6 and perhaps, for faculty, more extensive training. Mr. Quintela noted the new system is very different and will require retraining. Because DACC will not be able to handle all the training, some faculty will need to go to NMSU for training. Mr. Chappell asked if they had thought of training for part-time faculty. Mr. Quintela noted it was being worked on. The new system will be going live summer session II. The old system will be shut down. The course migration has not all been worked out. We will need to make sure and migrate back ups. Mr. Quintela suggested looking at this as an opportunity for DACC to clean up courses. Dr. Huerta added that this was a lot of work and we need to do a better job of doing tagging and identifying these courses. Mr. Quintela noted that we would like to hire part-time people to help with migrating. Mr. Chappell asked if this would make things more consistent. Mr. Quintela noted yes we can with the new system. Dr. Huerta asked Ms. Rodriguez if any of their courses were webCT. Ms. Rodriguez noted no, but they would like to. Most students do not have access to computers. They would like to apply for grant to purchase laptops and be able to have students check them out. Dr. Huerta asked Mr. Quintela to get with Dr. Chieffo on scheduling training, etc. Mr. Quintela noted that we needed to come up with a strategy. This is a new staff challenge. Ms. Allen added there would be a new version in fall 2008. Dr. Huerta asked how many courses this impacted. Mr. Quintela noted 100 courses which are fully on line and 300 augmented through webCT enhanced. Ms. Aguilera-Goerner noted she has already began talks with Mr. Quintela on starting with the General Studies Division. Dr. Huerta noted we also needed to train students. Mr. Quintela added we need to inform students of the change. Tutorials will be available for faculty and students. He will visit departments soon. Mr. Chappell asked what the status of my.nmsu e-mail was. Ms. Allen noted it was there but there are still questions. Mr. Burke added it was in place to function but needed academic input. It will be coordinated with Dr. Chieffo's office.

Dr. Huerta asked for any announcements:

Mr. Chappell noted he has had a good overall response by full time and part time faculty on entering grades.

Dr. Lillibridge noted there was a significant planning meeting on January 26. Please send important ideas to him. Dr. Huerta added that of the five institutional priorities, she needed information on Criterion 1 from Mr. Walker so that we can wrap up. Dr. Lillibridge noted they are working their way through Banner and AtD is coming up. If you need something bad, please have a good reason.

Ms. Lopez noted she would be representing the college at Las Cruces Day in Santa Fe and would have a booth set up. Please give her any information on programs you would like set up at the booth by January 25.


Ms. Aguilera-Goerner reminded everyone about the Border Learning Conference. Look at brochure and sign up.

Dr. Huerta also reminded everyone of the NM HEAR conference.
Dr. Huerta would like Mr. Quintela to work with Dr. Chieffo on scheduling training.
















Informational

Please give important ideas to Dr. Lillibridge for the Jan. 26 planning meeting.

Please give Ms. Lopez program brochures for Las Cruces Day in Santa Fe.

Informational

Informational
Next Meeting Friday, February 2, 2007, 10:00 a.m., ACR
Meeting Ended 11:00 a.m.