ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, November 3, 2006
10:00 a.m., ACR

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, Anna Chieffo, David Pearse, John Walker, Jerry Welch, Molly Morris, J.B. Carrica, Susana Rodriguez, John Paulman, Lori Allen, Kelly Brooks, Kathy Reddington, Ben Altamirano, Brad Mazdra, Tim Chappell, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Corina Gardea, Fred Lillibridge, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Sylvia Nickerson, Susan Roberts, Bill Glenn, Fred Owensby, Gladys Chairez, Larry Sharp

GUESTS: Bernie Pina for Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Becky Orduñez

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time 10:02 a.m.

Dr. Huerta welcomed everyone. She hopes everyone is doing well.
2 - Introduction of David Pearse - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta introduced Mr. David Pearse to the group. Mr. Pearse is the new Division Dean, Health & Public Services. He comes to us with extensive experience with health programs. He was recently the EMS Director in El Paso. (applause from group) Dr. Huerta asked the group to introduce themselves.

Dr. Huerta noted Ms. Aguilera-Goerner was out due to surgery and Dr. Piña is attending for her.
Informational Item




Informational Item
1 - Distribution of the Minutes for October 13, 2006 - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted the minutes of October 13, 2006, have been distributed with today's agenda. Please look over and give any corrections to Irene. Look over Oct. 13, 2006, minutes and give any corrections to Irene.
3 - Nursing Program Update - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted we were working very hard on the corrections requested by the NM Board of Nursing. We are making excellent progress per the Board of Nursing. Dr. Huerta noted the nasty cartoon in Sunday's LC Sun News by Mr. Bob Diven. Last week Dr. Huerta along with Mr. Paulman, Ms. Portillo, and University Communications worked on a letter to the editor. It has not been printed. Dr. Huerta has made an attempt to contact the editor and actually went to the Sun News offices. She finally received a call from the assistant editor and noted the college's concern with fair, accurate reporting. Dr. Huerta noted she has been talking to community members and all have said that they were supportive of the college. Dr. Huerta also noted to the group that we should not put ourselves in this kind of situation. Dr. Chieffo noted both Drs. Huerta and Gardea have been meeting with the nursing students regularly. Informational Item
4 - Office of Civil Rights Site Visit - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted the Office of Civil Rights would be conducting a site visit here at DACC the week of December 4. This is a random site visit by the NM Public Education Department. Mr. Burke added that we were selected due to funding we receive from Carl Perkins. The audits are done regularly and they take a sample of higher education institutions. The site visit will be scheduled with several staff members. Mr. Ledesma noted they will look at academic issues as well as program information like brochures. They will make sure there are no discrimination statements. Dr. Huerta noted the college was not in violation, but were randomly selected. Information may be gathered from your areas. Mr. Ledesma added that some of the site visit is facilities and access. Ms. Brooks noted they may want to visit classrooms. Because the college receives federal monies, they want to make sure that we are in compliance. Informational Item







5 - Building Repair & Renewal Projects Requests - Dr. Huerta & Mr. Burke Dr. Huerta noted Mr. Burke had recently sent out a memo requesting building repair and renewal projects requests. Please note the deadline is November 29. Another copy of the memo has been provided with today's agenda. Ms. Reddington and crew have been working very hard last year's requests. Ms. Reddington noted most were pretty cut and dry. She would like everyone to look closely at the current ones. Some may have been canceled or resubmitted. Mr. Burke added this was everyone's opportunity to make minor renovations. Some of the work will be completed during summer 2007. Ms. Reddington asked that estimates for the scope of work be given to her as early as possible. The more notice, the better. Dr. Huerta asked when those pending would be done. Ms. Reddington noted some were done. She will update the list and send it out. Deadline to submit BRR project requests is November 29, 2006.
6 - Schedule & Budget Pre-Hearings - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta would like to schedule a pre-hearing for the fall schedule and how we plan to staff. We will get Dr. Lillibridge to run common reports on seat count and the number of sections that made. Dr. Huerta noted we need to stay as close to the budget as possible. We will get a true value and true assessment of the fall schedule. The pre-hearings will be set up to better look at the same information. Please do not panic. If there is a real need for a section, we will offer it. We need to look at the schedule and how it impacts the budget. This will be an important step in the overall budget process. A small discussion followed on new faculty hires. Mr. Burke would like to try to determine what the schedule is before Christmas. The deadlines for the budget process will remain similar and we will not be increasing as we have done before. This meeting needs to take place before decisions are made on the fall schedule. Mr. Altamirano noted SSI and SSII are due before fall ends. Dr. Chieffo noted fall is due at the end of January. Mr. Burke added that everyone needed to be at this meeting. Dr. Chieffo suggested the third Friday in December; December 15. Mr. Ledesda wanted to compliment everyone on the spring schedule. A discussion followed on the "Q" drive and that some did not use it. Dr. Huerta noted the academic team made the decision to use "Q" drive and they need to make sure everyone uses it. The more we plan, the better. Pre-Hearing on Schedule & Budget will need to be held prior to making decisions on the Fall 07 schedule.
7 - Community Strategic Planning Meeting - Dr Huerta Dr. Huerta noted the college would be hosting a community meeting next week. Banks, hospitality, hi tech, manufacturing, health care, and aerospace are a few that will be invited. We will gather input from the community and use in our Strategic Plan. Dr. Huerta has asked Mr. Steve Vierck, Executive Director of Mesilla Valley Economic Development Alliance, to give an overview of the workforce needs and the job forecast for Las Cruces. Dr. Huerta had the opportunity to meet with Mr. Steve Bennett, CEO of Starchaser. The college will be partnering with him and a press release will be sent out. Mr. Bennett will be bringing a rocket to Las Cruces and Dr. Huerta has asked him to consider bringing the rocket to the three school districts. Ms. Kimmarie Hartley from Starchaser will be at the community meeting. Informational Item
8 - Shredding Documents - Ms. Brooks Ms. Brooks noted she had received several inquiries for formal shredding. There are new guidelines as it relates to students, social security numbers, etc. An individual can be liable if information gets out. There is a big shredder in Internal Services that staff can use. There is also a vendor that NMSU has identified. This company can provide a locked bin which you will have the key to. They charge 10 a pound to shred. They are bonded and insured. The company is out of El Paso; they will come here. Handouts with information are included with today's agenda. Mr. Mazdra noted main campus has gone from strip shredding to cross shredding. Have we done that also? Ms. Brooks noted we did not have a policy and she is not aware of one. Informational Item
9 - Announcements / Other Mr. Burke noted that Ms. Kathe Stark's last day will be October 20 and the position will become vacant. Ms. Rosie Martinez has been promoted into a professional position. If you have any issues, please get with Mr. Burke or Ms. Martinez. On November 20, Ms. Doris Gleason will become our new Human Resources Manager. She comes to us from main campus.

Dr. Huerta reminded everyone that election day is November 7. Bond Issue B, which included $3.5 million for East Mesa, is on the ballot. Today is last day for early voting. On Sunday at 10:30 a.m., KRWG's "Minding Your Business" will feature both Dr. Huerta and Mr. Burke. Mr. David Holly asked her and Mr. Burke to tape a segment.

Mr. Chappell noted Faculty Council has approved the new promotion and tenure guidelines and will get it to Dr. Gardea by the end of December for publishing. Mr. Chappell noted some struggling by faculty on the banner conversion. Mr. Mazdra noted the advisor to advisee report has been sent to UNO and we are still waiting on it to load. Dr. Huerta asked Mr. Chappell to work with Mr. Ledesma and Mr. Mazdra on this. A discussion followed on advising tools, poor planning, other branch campuses and colleges, STAR not interfacing with Banner, and maximum access. Ms. Allen noted the actual faculty member is required to log in grades, not the secretary or someone else. Mr. Ledesma noted training would be held for part-time faculty starting this Saturday. Ms. Allen added that a mailing list of part-time faculty and full-time faculty was being set up and that the list was given to Dr. Gardea for review. Mr. Burke noted we needed the ability to get e-mail out to our part-time faculty on GroupWise or externally. The college will be going out of GroupWise and Ms. Allen has been asking how Banner can work. Dr. Huerta suggested Dr. Gardea work with the division deans to figure out how we want mailing lists. It is the responsibility of the division deans to get the information to the department chairs so that Ms. Allen can get directions. Mr. Burke suggested putting group together to work on this.

Ms. Reddington noted work order requests were now internet based. You can reach it through the DACC web page and then clicking on faculty and staff. Dr. Huerta added, related to the web, unfortunately, we have not been able to fill the position for a web person. We are working to get the position filled.

Mr. Welch noted two weeks ago DACC hosted the Space Tec Consortium. Twelve institutions attended. It was held at East Mesa and was very positive.

Ms. Morris noted Bond C for libraries was also on the ballot.

Dr. Huerta noted the Board of Regents Work Session went very well. Of our six Advisory Board members, five attended as well as the Superintendent for Las Cruces Public Schools. We were the only community college that had any board members attend. One of the most important thing to come up at the session was an apology from one of the Regents regarding a comment made at the Regent's July retreat. The Regents now have a better sense of the community colleges including dual credit. Both Alamogordo and Grants proposed and received approval to waive the tuition for dual credit students for one year. Mr. Welch asked if we waived the entire tuition, do we still get funds for the student. Mr. Burke noted we would lose out on tuition, but not all. We need to find a balance. Dr. Huerta noted DACC would be meeting with Las Cruces Public School administrators today. The overall outcome of the work session was good. NMACC along with the four community colleges made presentations. DACC is much more visible and we are on their radar.

Mr. Walker noted B&I had a booth at the X-Prize next to Mr. Welch's booth.

Dr. Huerta was glad to see the college have a presence there. Dr. Huerta hopes everyone has a nice Thanksgiving. Also, please go out and vote.
Informational Item





Please VOTE on November 7, 2006.



Informational Item
















Informational Item




Informational Item


Informational Item

Informational Item












Informational Item

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Next Meeting Friday, December 1, 2006, 10:00 a.m., ACR
Meeting Ended 11:21 a.m.