ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, October 13, 2006
10:00 a.m., ACR

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Corina Gardea, Ike Ledesma, Anna Chieffo, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, John Walker, Jerry Welch, Sylvia Nickerson, Molly Morris, J.B. Carrica, Susan Roberts, Susana Rodriguez, John Paulman, Lori Allen, Kathy Reddington, Ben Altamirano, Gladys Chairez, Brad Mazdra, Tim Chappell, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Andy Burke, Fred Lillibridge, Bill Glenn, Fred Owensby, Kelly Brooks, Larry Sharp

GUESTS: Mary Beth Worley for Fred Lillibridge, Louise Ytuarte

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time 10:05 a.m.

Dr. Huerta welcomed everyone. This will be a short meeting due to the Branch Round Up being held at NMSU Alamogordo with the kick off set for 12 noon.

Informational Item
1 - Approval of the Minutes for September 1, 2006 - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta asked the group to review the minutes of September 1, 2006, and let Irene know any corrections by October 20.

Dr. Huerta noted the Workforce Summit went very well with about 176 participants. Dr. Huerta thanked everyone for their attendance and noted that Mr. Welch gave a presentation on the Manufacturing Bridge Program. Mr. Ricardo Rel and Ms. Patricia Quintana informed Dr. Huerta that the Governor is supporting $200,000 for the bridge program. Dr. Huerta noted that Governor Richardson is very supportive of workforce training. We hope to improve the Summit for next year. Dr. Chieffo noted that we should have a student panel at next year's Summit and more business. Dr. Huerta noted she would like to see and maybe use the written comments in our Strategic Plan and for our application for accreditation.
Let Irene know changes by 10/20.

Informational Item
2 - Board of Regents Work Session w/Advisory Boards - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted the NMSU Board of Regents will be having a work session with the Advisory Boards of the four community colleges on Thursday October 19. Out of six of our Board members, five will be attending. The invitation to attend has been extended to a few staff members. Dr. Huerta will use the report from the Governor's Economic Summit in Silver City. Mr. Steve Vierck, Mesilla Valley Economic Development Alliance, will provide Dr. Huerta with the report. Dr. Huerta thanked Ms. Rodriguez and others for having to move out of Rooms 75, 77, and 79 for the work session. It was appreciated. Dr. Huerta can't wait to have an auditorium for another venue for these types of activities. Informational Item
3 - Scholarship Update - Ms. Louise Ytuarte Dr. Huerta asked Ms. Ytuarte to tell this group about the scholarships available as we focus and solicit for funds.

Ms. Ytuarte noted she had created an on-line application. Mr. Chappell asked if students needed to apply every year. Ms. Ytuarte noted yes. The new scholarship guide given out at Convocation has had some changes. The guide is on-line and will be kept updated. There are 21 scholarships including Tuition Scholarships, it does not include Lottery. Ms. Ytuarte explained that current use scholarships are available now and endowed scholarships are distributed when funds are generated.

Ms. Ytuarte referred to a Power Point presentation:
- Business & Information Systems Division has current use scholarships in computer technology and library sciences. Still available: BOT, business occupations, hospitality services, paralegal studies, and pre-business. Dr. Huerta noted to Mr. Walker that this was an opportunity to work on funds for the other programs.
- General Studies Division does not have any current use scholarships. Still available: associate of general studies, associate of arts, and associate of science. Ms. Ytuarte noted most donors will specify majors.
- Health and Public Service Division has current use scholarships in dental, diagnostic medical sonography, emergency medical services, health care, nursing, public health, radiology, and respiratory care. Two current use scholarships are specific to nursing and all others are for several health fields. Still available: certified nursing assistant, criminal justice, early childhood education, education paraprofessional, fire investigation, fire science technology, and health information technology.
- Technical and Industrial Technologies Division has current use scholarship in welding, automotive technology, apprenticeship, automation & manufacturing, building construction, electronics, drafting, and HVAC. Still available: creative media technology. Ms. Nickerson asked about the Daniels Grant. Ms. Ytuarte noted it is a grant but used as a scholarship. It is for GED students and those referred from the alternative high school. The grant is limited to five years and this is our second year. Ms. Chairez noted we were in the process of reapplying. Ms. Nickerson asked if the Daniels Fund was listed in the guide. Ms. Ytuarte noted yes it was listed in the guide. Dr. Gardea asked if their was a limit to establish a scholarship. Ms. Ytuarte noted no for current use scholarships, but for endowments there was a $10,000 limit. The more the better. Dr. Gardea asked if it was a one time contribution or on-going. Ms. Ytuarte noted yes to both.

Dr. Huerta noted at Administrative Council on main campus this week, it was noted by auditing services that many do not use or follow criteria set by the donor. We need to be careful. This is a big issue and is being talked about on main campus. The information presented by Ms. Ytuarte showed what areas we need to focus on. Dr. Huerta asked when applications were due. Ms. Ytuarte noted the application deadline is April 1 for the following school year. The scholarship will be awarded in summer for the fall semester. This will allow students to know what they can expect.

Dr. Huerta noted the Donor Appreciation Dinner is being planned for January. She suggested that we might hold dinner beginning of fall semester to allow for donor and students who were chosen for the donor's scholarship be invited. We all need to get the word out to our students to apply by the deadline (April 1). Mr. Ledesma noted the guide will updated again in the spring. It is an ever changing document. Ms. Chairez noted we participated in Southwest College Days. We were the only financial aid office that participated. Ms. Nickerson noted the recent presentation given by Dr. Lillibridge and Ms. Worley included users in the State. Ms. Chairez added that 80% of DACC students use financial aid. Dr. Gardea keeps hearing that there are a large number of students coming to DACC who receive financial aid and do not attend. Mr. Ledesma noted that it was reported to our Advisory Board that students getting financial aid do better.
Informational Item


Informational Item






Informational Item

























We need to make sure we follow criteria set by donors in awarding scholarships.




Informational Item
4 - Community Survey & Strategic Planning - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted that the community survey is being worked on. The questions from the questionnaire from the Golden Associates survey will be used as a benchmark. The survey is being used as part of the Strategic Plan. Dr. Lillibridge and Mr. Paulman will set up a URL address for the community survey. It will also be published in the newspaper. Mr. Paulman noted he had contacted Ms. Jo Galvan with Las Cruces Public Schools and we will send the survey to all third graders (1,700) and sixth graders (1,583). Ms. Galvan will also send the survey to 3,600 employees, post it on the LCPS web site, and send to advisory council parents. Mr. Paulman will contact both Gadsden and Hatch School Districts to try to see what they can do to help. Hard copies will be available for those who do not have computers.

Input from group on survey:
Ms. Roberts: add military to #16
Ms. Nickerson: add transfer students from GED to #16
Ms. Aguilera-Goerner: #2 too wordy, #7 list to long, cut
Dr. Chieffo noted dissemination idea good, but what about those without kids
Ms. Worley: add to City of Las Cruces bill and add link from their web page

Dr. Huerta noted we would move forward and we will share final survey with group. Please let Irene know any more input by next week. Dr. Huerta asked Dr. Carrica for suggestions for the South.
Informational Item









Input from Group on Community Survey.





Please let Irene know any more input by next week.
5 - Facilities Planning Meeting - Mr. Burke Dr. Huerta noted Mr. Burke was unable to attend. She reminded everyone about the Facilities Planning Meeting scheduled for Wednesday, October 18, 2006, from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. in the ACR.

Dr. Huerta noted the Advisory Board meeting held in September was positive. There was a consensus to move forward with Chaparral and Hatch. We are looking at building adjacent to the high schools. Dr. Huerta added that a community group in Hatch led by Mayor Judd Nordyke is pushing for the college to keep the old Hatch High School. The old high school now has mold due to the flooding along with asbestos. Representative Andy Nunez is also on the community group. The Hatch Center will be political. The Hatch School Board is considering tearing down the school because of the mold and asbestos. We are also moving forward with Chaparral. Dr. Huerta and Mr. Burke met with the superintendent and the architects. We are planning on what programs to offer that will be best suited for Chaparral. Dr. Huerta noted Hatch would like us to offer an agricultural program. They have a big donor to build an agricultural building. We cannot offer all the programs, but we need to identify what we can do.

Mr. Chappell asked if someone from the Faculty Council facilities committee was invited to the facilities planning meeting. Dr. Huerta noted that the process has been inclusive and she would be glad to have someone attend from the facilities committee.

Dr. Huerta noted the next Administrative Council meeting is scheduled for November 8. There will be an Assessment Lunch on October 19 at noon on ACR. Dr. Chieffo noted the lunch would include several department presenting on their plans. Ms. Woods is hoping to get people more enthusiastic on student learning outcomes. The lunch is light refreshments.

Dr. Huerta noted the attached memo from President Martin on lobbying responsibilities. The Legislative Session is scheduled from January 16 - March 17, 2007. We need to coordinate with NMSU. If there are any pressing announcements, please let Irene know and she will get it out.

Ms. Aguilera-Goerner reminded everyone of the Danny Villanueva breakfast on October 19. Mr. Ledesma noted there would be Banner demonstrations in the Commons Area next two and a half weeks. Mr. Altamirano noted there will be a Lupe Diaz Fund Raising Raffle. Ms. Diaz's son has been very ill and Ms. Diaz has been up in Albuquerque with her son. The raffle includes a quilt made by Ms. Sylvia Calderon and a knife made by Mr. Altamirano. The drawing will be held on October 31.
Informational Item



Informational Item












Informational Item



Informational Item




Coordinate lobbying with NMSU.



Informational Item
Next Meeting Friday, November 3, 2006, 10:00 a.m., ACR
Meeting Ended 11:02 a.m.