ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, June 2, 2006
10:00 a.m., ACR

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Corina Gardea, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, Anna Chieffo, John Walker, Molly Morris, Carolyn VanderGiesen, Susana Rodriguez, Erlinda Portillo, John Paulman, Lori Allen, Lori Allen, Kelly Brooks, Kathy Reddington, Ben Altamirano, Sylvia Calderon, Larry Sharp, Tim Chappell, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Fred Lillibridge, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Jerry Welch, Sylvia Nickerson, J.B. Carrica, Susan Roberts, Bill Glenn, Fred Owensby, Kathe Stark, Gladys Chairez

GUESTS: Ben Woods (NMSU), Consuelo Williams

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time 10:07 a.m.

Dr. Huerta welcomed everyone. It is good to see everyone.
3 - Statewide GOB - Mr. Ben Woods (NMSU) Dr. Huerta asked Senior Vice President Ben Woods to share information on the Statewide GOB campaign. Dr. Gerald Burke is chairing the committee to oversee the campaign. The election will be for approximately $108 million with more funds coming to NMSU than ever before. Mr. Woods will share with us the slice of pie for both NMSU and DABCC and also DABCC's contribution to the campaign.

Mr. Woods noted it was 52 days until faculty are expected back on campus. All of us are really focused on the future. Our real mission is taking care of our students. We have a lot of challenges - who we are, what we do. There are two ways that capital flows. The first is local revenue bonds under the community college and branch community college acts. Mr. Woods noted DABCC has done a remarkable job in the last fourteen years under the leadership of Dr. Huerta and Mr. Burke. There is great support in the community for the college. For Sunland Park, which is part of the poorest in the county, they still want to be part of the American dream. Mr. Woods has used DABCC as an example for the last 10 years. The second capital flow is Statewide GO Bonds. The 1990 GOB did not pass. Every year since, they have passed. The tax is based on property values. This November the GOB will be without a significant increase in taxes. The Legislature, in January, appropriated Bond Issue B for November 2006. The bonds will be sold March 2007 and the funds will be available 14-15 months later. The University of New Mexico has been short changed with the least amount in the last 10-12 years. The smallest enrollment, New Mexico Tech, will get significant monies. They really know how to work the system. UNM has enrollment of 25,000 while NM Tech has an enrollment of 1,200 FTE. For DABCC, the $3.5 million is different than the $1 million for Alamogordo. The decisions are political with other factors considered. Four-year institutions cannot go to their service area for funding. The Statewide GOB is the only avenue NMSU has for capital funds. DABCC has really pushed the envelope on local revenue bonds. Alamogordo, who is in Otero County, has failed to pass the Statewide GOB. They also can't pass bonds for the public schools. Carlsbad has a similar politic.

The benefits to the NMSU system:
$11 million for Gardner Hall renovation
$3 million for Native American Cultural Center
$2 million for addition to Health & Social Services Building (this was not requested by NMSU, but by J. Paul Taylor)
$3.5 for DABCC for Phase 5 East Mesa Center (we had requested $4.5 million)
$1.5 million for Alamogordo for infrastructure
Lesser amounts for both Grants and Carlsbad

Mr. Woods noted it was the full Issue or not. We can't use state funds to campaign. The campaign amount is $200,000 which is typically raised through donations. What NMSU has done the last couple of years is use funds through the Foundation. In getting funds, Dr. Burke is handling the statewide campaign. Dr. Burke has graciously volunteered his time. The last campaign someone was paid. The funds raised will go into marketing material: billboards, radio, etc. The tag for NMSU is $48,000 which is 25% of the total. NMSU also will be getting the most money from the bond. Of the $48,000, $6,000 to $8,000 will need to come from DABCC. The Executive Committee will try to pass GOB across the State by working together. Mr. Ledesma asked if there were any barriers. Mr. Woods noted that Bernalillo County (Albuquerque) was so big and the city will be looking at an enormous bond issue for the Albuquerque Public Schools just prior to this election. There is some concern that it may reflect back on the GOB. It will depend on the politic even nationally. The region we need to look at and carry, per firm used to poll, is Albuquerque and Las Cruces.

Mr. Burke added the economic time will also factor when people vote. Mr. Woods noted the GOB would include a slight tax increase of 10-20 cents to 1,000 taxable value. Mr. Chappell asked if we could get federal monies from like BLM. Mr. Woods noted this was not possible and that that was the problem in Otero County because so much land is Holloman AFB and BLM land.

Dr. Huerta noted, as Mr. Woods mentioned, DABCC will need to contribute $6,000 to $8,000 for the campaign. She will be the first to contribute and would like everyone to consider contributing. Please send donations to Ms. Kelly Brooks and she will forward to the Foundation. Dr. Huerta also reminded everyone that DABCC, in 2009, would be going to the voters for a local GOB. She will again ask Mr. Woods to help as he did for our last local GOB. Dr. Huerta noted Dr. Burke had asked DABCC for use of all of our billboards for the campaign and she said yes. Mr. Woods added that billboard space has become sparse.

Mr. Woods thanked everyone. Have a great summer.
Informational Item





Informational Item





















Informational Item








Informational Item













Informational Item





Please send donations to the Statewide GOB campaign to Ms. Kelly Brooks, who will forward to NMSU Foundation.
1 - News from NMSU - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted the Union vote had passed but had not been certified. The University is looking forward to moving forward. Mr. Altamirano asked if this would "kill" broadbanding. Mr. Burke noted that anything to do with non exempt staff will need to be on the Union contract. Informational Item
2 - News from the Higher Education Department - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta along with DABCC Board Members Mr. Chuck Davis and Dr. Sharon Wooden will attend the Higher Education Department (HED) Governing Boards Retreat on June 8-9. HED is asking for input from Board Members and CEOs/Presidents on strategic goals. Mr. Chappell asked about articulation that HED, when formed, said they would work on. Dr. Huerta noted Mr. Chappell was attending this meeting as the new Faculty Council president. She noted that yes, articulation was being looked at from k-12 to community colleges to four-year institutions. This was mandated by the Governor and it's alive and well. Informational Item
5 - Search Process - Dr. Huerta a. Faculty Hiring
Dr. Huerta is working with Dr. Gardea on finalizing the search process and will get that out as soon as possible. Dr. Huerta would like new faculty hired by August 1. Fall Convocation is scheduled for August 21 with the first day of classes set for August 24. Please work quickly on getting everyone hired. This summer, Dr. Huerta will interview all finalist. This applies to professional staff also. Dr. Huerta will work with the appropriate officer.

b. CSSO On Campus Interviews
Dr. Huerta noted we would have on campus interviews for the CSSO on June 5, 6 and 7. There will be an open forum from 3:30 to 4:30 each day. Mr. Walker added the topic for the open forum would be "Student Services in a Learning College." Dr. Huerta noted she would interview all the candidates at the end of the day. Ms. Morris also added that each open session would be taped and will be made available. Mr. Walker noted the dean's session was for all deans not just academic. Please bring two questions with you at 10:00 a.m. in the ACR. Dr. Huerta noted that one of our own, Mr. Ike Ledesda, was a finalist and would be interviewed. She congratulated Mr. Ledesma on being selected. Dr. Huerta asked everyone to please participate as this is a very important position. Also, please provide input.

Please work on getting all hiring done by August 1.




Please participate in the interview process and please provide input.
6 - Overview of Insurance Plan - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta asked Ms. Kathe Stark if she would be willing to give staff an overview of the new insurance options. She agreed. The overview is planned for Thursday, June 8 from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. in room 96. Please encourage your employees to attend. Mr. Chappell noted he was worried that 9-month faculty who are not here this summer will miss the June 30 deadline. Ms. Morris noted Ms. Stark has included a link to the web that also provides information in the reminders she has sent out. Dr. Huerta added that there have been several presentations on main campus already and information has been given out for months now. Please note there are ramifications if your do not sign up by the June 30 deadline. Please encourage employees to attend overview on June 8, 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. in room 96.

DEADLINE to enroll for medical and dental insurance is JUNE 30.

7 - Development Fund Raising Activities - Dr. Huerta & Ms. Portillo Dr. Huerta noted Ms. Erlinda Portillo would be retiring at the end of June. She asked Ms. Portillo to provide information on the development activities going on to date. Ms. Portillo will come back and help with these activities until someone is hired to replace her.

Ms. Portillo noted one proposal not yet finalized was a scholarship for single parents. The was money unearthed in the foundation account which will be used to start the scholarship. The Ad Hoc Committee looked at what they thought employees would support in fund raising efforts and this is the one they thought best. Ms. Portillo will have a kick-off event before she leaves. The kick-off event will be a Red Hat Campaign and have fun activities planned around the red hat. This would be a way to say this is important. One activity being considered is a contest for the most original hat. This will establish the start of an employee campaign. Payroll deduction will be available. Ms. Portillo noted there was a large population of single parents here at DABCC. This will be primary for in-state parents. If you are interested in helping, please let Ms. Portillo know. Dr. Huerta asked if a monetary goal had been set. Ms. Portillo noted that each division would be able to select one scholarship for each year. This being $18,000 right now.

Ms. Portillo also noted the DABCC Annual Golf Tournament is being planned for either August 11 or August 25 at the Las Cruces Country Club. An afternoon scramble is being planned. Also, celebrities that are being invited to participate include: Nolan Richardson, Coach Theus, Rich Beem, Coach Haskins, and possibly an El Paso person who starred in the
Glory movie. Dr. Huerta noted she preferred to have the tournament in the morning. Mr. Ledesma suggested we look into inviting Mr. Joseph Semprevivo. Ms. Portillo noted they were also looking at athletes honored by NMSU. Ms. VanderGiesen asked about time off to participate - do we need to take annual leave. Dr. Huerta noted she would talk to Ms. Stark. Dr. Huerta's policy is that if it is a DABCC event/function, we should not have to take leave to participate or to volunteer to help. It's a DABCC culture and she likes it like that. Dr. Chieffo noted August 25 was too close to the start of the semester.

Ms. Portillo noted September 14-15 is planned for the Amado Peña fund raiser. It has been restructured at his request. The first day will be a reception and art show, no dinner. The second day we will combine it with the Diez y Seis de Septembre. There will be booths, music, and dancing. Mr. Peña suggested a roulette wheel where people actually win art work. Dr. Huerta noted the NMSU Regents had originally planned a meeting here at DABCC on September 15 where Dr. Huerta had planned to introduce Mr. Peña to the Regents. The Regents have since moved the date to September 8 for their meeting.

Ms. Portillo noted Saturday, October 21 is the Distinguished Alumni Reception. This is during NMSU Homecoming weekend. Ms. Portillo asked the division deans to please start to do research on distinguished alums now. Dr. Huerta asked the division dean to do this in advance and not at the last minute as in previous years.

On January 25, 2007, Donor & Scholarship Appreciation Dinner will be held.

Ms. Brooks asked if we had a plan to generate funds for the Statewide GOB. Dr. Huerta noted there was no plan, but thought of sending an e-mail to everyone. A small discussion followed on foundation money, alumni, and donors. Mr. Burke suggested Dr. Huerta set an example and donate herself. Dr. Huerta will ask employees for donations. She also noted development activities were a new culture for us and wanted everyone to stay participants. Dr. Gardea asked if we could ask students, when they register, to give $1.00. Dr. Huerta thought of billboards as maybe in-kind donation. She asked Ms. Brooks to put something together and billboards.
Informational Item



Informational Item












Informational Item











Informational Item







Division Deans please start looking at distinguished alum to recognize.

Informational Item

Informational Item
4 - Higher Learning Commission PIF Response - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted the college received great news. The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) accepted our Preliminary Information Form (PIF) and the college can move on to the next step - the self-study. The HLC gave the college input on the twelve areas. Of the twelve, four need to be addressed in the self-study. On June 19, 3:00 p.m. in the commons area, Dr. Huerta will present the report and also what our next steps are. Dr. Huerta asked Mr. Paulman to ask Ms. Melissa Bollschweiler to attend and take pictures. Dr. Huerta thanked everyone involved and noted there was more work to done. The site visit is schedule on April 28-30, 2008, to coincide with NMSU's visit. Ms. Portillo asked about the name change. Dr. Huerta noted a survey was being created and will now be more expanded. At the NMSU Regents Retreat on July 17-18, the branch campuses will be giving a presentation. Other than striking branch from name, the name is the same. A small discussion followed.

Dr. Huerta noted to Ms. Lori Allen that the Exec Team had not forgotten about ITAC and the equipment requests. They will review on Wednesday and make decisions at that time.

Dr. Huerta asked for any announcements. Ms. Brooks wanted to remind everyone that purchase orders under $1,000 will get posted depending on when we get invoice. Over $1,000 will get posted depending on when received.

Dr. Gardea noted the EMS Program had their accreditation site visit last week. They were very pleased and happy with the quality of the program. Both she and Dr. Huerta participated in the early and exit interviews for the site visit.

Ms. Portillo noted the dental hygiene dinner in April was well attended. The New Mexico Dental Association gave a match donation of $10,000. We have over $24,000 in funds now. Dr. Huerta noted that locally people were very generous.

Dr. Chieffo noted that Ms. Merlinda Pacheco has started to work on the Master Academic Calendar. Please let her know changes, etc.

Dr. Huerta noted the goal for Fall Convocation would be the Scholarship Brochure. Reminder - July 3-4 is a holiday.

Ms. VanderGiesen noted her area had submitted two names for the FirstLight Federal Credit Union awards.
Informational Item











Informational Item


Informational Item



Informational Item



Informational Item



Please let Merlinda Pacheco know any changes to Master Academic Calendar.


Informational Item


Informational Item
Next Meeting Friday, July 7, 2006, 10:00 a.m., ACR
Meeting Ended 11:30 a.m.