ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, November 4, 2005
10:00 a.m., ACR

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Anna Chieffo, Andy Burke, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Mary Sletten, John Walker, Jerry Welch, Molly Morris, Carolyn VanderGiesen, J.B. Carrica, Susan Roberts, Susan Wood, John Paulman, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Bernadette Montoya, Fred Lillibridge, Sylvia Nickerson, Erlinda Portillo

GUESTS: Ike Ledesma for Bernadette Montoya, Susana Navarrette Rodriguez for Sylvia Nickerson

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time 10:09 a.m.

Dr. Huerta welcomed everyone and reminded the group that the final CAO interviews would be Monday (Griffin) and Thursday (Gardea). She encouraged everyone to attend and participate.



Informational Item
1 - Distribution of October 6, 2005, Minutes for Review - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta asked the group to look over the long minutes of October 6, 2005, and please let Irene know any changes, etc. Irene will finalize and post on the web. Look over minutes of October 6, 2005, & let Irene know any changes, etc. Irene will finalize and post on the web.
2 - New College - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted the New College is a new initiative by President Martin. The name may change, but for now it is the New College. The New College will be a port of entry for those students who do not meet NMSU's admission requirements. This semester DABCC offered one section of Math to those students. The class was held at NMSU. Our part of the New College will be to provide our courses on the NMSU campus. NMSU is looking at doing more for those provisional students. Dr. Huerta noted DABCC's support of the first year student in the New College has been added to the new Operating Agreement. Ms. Rodriguez asked if we would be compensated. Dr. Huerta noted the courses would be DABCC courses, instructors, and FTE. A discussion followed on relationship between TVI and UNM, funding, FTE, space, and articulation agreements. Dr. Huerta has been meeting with President Martin, Dr. Carmen Gonzalez, and Dr. Gladys De Necochea on the New College. President Martin is considering using Regents Row for the New College. Also, Dr. Huerta, Ms. Aguilera-Goerner, Donna Alden, and Bernie Piña all serve on the Curriculum Committee for the New College. DABCC took a leadership role and Dr. Huerta feels comfortable with what we are doing and what we can do. Dr. Huerta added that the college is currently working on revising the whole Operating Agreement. Dr. Huerta also noted that the college now reports to Dr. Gladys De Necochea and there have been many changes at NMSU. It is important for us to maintain stability here. Let's move forward with our initiatives. Informational Item
3 - Approval of Action Plans for Institutional Priorities - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta would like approval today from the group on the Action Plans that were handed out at the October meeting for input. If approved, they will be taken to the Executive Team for final approval.

Priority 1 Action Plan
:
Ms. Aguilera-Goerner noted the last page was well summarized and easier to read. Dr. Chieffo asked if the others should be summarized in the same format. Dr. Huerta noted she would like them to be more refined and more concise. Dr. Chieffo noted that Goal 1, Objective 5 has been removed, it is not inline with policy.

Priority 2 Action Plan
:
Dr. Chieffo noted that after much information given out, there were no edits, no corrections. Mr. Paulman suggested striking "branch." Dr. Huerta noted that she had attended a Higher Learning Commission (HLC) Board meeting in Albuquerque last week. She had dinner with Dr. John Taylor and Ms. Lady Branham. They suggested we get a letter of support form President Martin on our seeking separate accreditation and add to PIF. The letter should also be faxed to HLC. Dr. Huerta also noted that Dr. Carmen Gonzalez is on their Board. Mr. Welch added that in looking into the accreditation process, we should be aware of what we put in the PIF as we will be held accountable.
Priority 3 Action Plan
:
Dr. Huerta noted the importance of supporting an assessment coordinator and would like someone in place in January.

Priority 4 Action Plan
:
Dr. Huerta noted this Action Plan had good ideas and was lengthy. We might have to pick and choose what we support. Mr. Ledesma asked if Dr. Montoya should replace Valerie Pickett as the person responsible for section VI, Student Recruitment. Mr. Paulman suggested he get with Dr. Montoya unless he was interested. Mr. Ledesma noted he would like to do. Ms. Rodriguez suggested putting department names instead of individual names. Ms. Roberts asked that satellites be kept in mind for marketing. Ms. Morris asked why "??" were put in the budget & facility impact. Dr. Huerta noted that she and Mr. Paulman would talk more about this Action Plan.

Priority 5 Action Plan
:
Dr. Huerta noted that much progress had been made on this Action Plan. Ms. VanderGiesen noted the State was integrating a new Work Keys software and we should make sure it's compatible to anything we may purchase for credit programs. Ms. Wood noted Plato came to ITAC last year and was not prioritized very high. A small discussion followed on ITAC and other software programs. Ms. VanderGiesen agreed to bring more information to the Priority 5 Committee meeting.

Dr. Huerta asked for a motion to approve Action Plans with Committees making changes and summarizing similar to Priority 1 Action Plan. Ms. VanderGiesen moved to approve as stated by Dr. Huerta. Mr. Walker seconded the motion. All were in favor, the motion carried.

Suggestions & Discussion



























Approval
4 - Approval of DABCC Mission, Vision, & Values Statements - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta asked the group to approve the DABCC Mission, Vision, and Values Statement. She would like to take to the DABCC Advisory Board at their December meeting.

Ms. Wood noted "diverse community of learners" allows us to not exclude anyone.

Mr. Welch would like career education and workforce development added as that is what we do.

Mr. Paulman noted some wording needed to be worked on.

mission statement
:
Ms. Wood noted that the formula for mission statements is 25 words.
Ms. VanderGiesen suggested starting the mission statement with "As a ...." and change it to read "educational and workforce opportunities ..."
Dr. Chieffo suggested adding "development" after workforce.
Mr. Paulman suggested it should start "As a responsive and accessible ...., DABCC provides ..."
Ms. Sletten suggested we remove "innovative"

The new mission statement would read: "As a responsive and accessible learning-centered community college, DABCC provides educational and workforce development opportunities to a diverse community of learners."

vision statement
:
Ms. Morris, with Dr. Chieffo agreeing, suggested an introduction to the values statement be done.
Mr. Paulman agreed to work on a transition.
Dr. Huerta suggested that Dr. Chieffo, Mr. Paulman, and Ms. Morris, with everyone's approval, work on the vision statement.

values statement
:
Ms. Wood suggested under Community that it be changed to "Communities"
Ms. Morris suggested it read "Communities that" and change "building" to "builds"; "strengthening" to "strengthens"; and "developing" to "develops"

Ms. Sletten motioned to approve the mission and values statements with corrections and approve Dr. Chieffo, Mr. Paulman, and Ms. Morris to work on vision statement. Mr. Walker seconded the motion. All were in favor, the motion carried.

Suggestions & Discussion



























Approval
5 - NMSU Safety Office Inspection Findings & Compliance - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta asked the group to read the letter from Mr. David Shearer on his concerns from DABCC's recent inspection by the NMSU Safety Office. Mr. Walker, Ms. Sletten, and Mr. Welch's areas all have concerns. Dr. Huerta agreed to a follow up report due on December 9. Ms. Kathy Reddington will collect. Division Deans please work with Ms. Reddington. Division Deans will work w/Kathy Reddington on a follow up report.
6 - Update on DABCC Web Page - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta had Mr. Paulman, Mr. Marco Hernandez, and Ms. Sylvia Calderon working fast and furious on the getting the web page ready to be up on November 1. It was important to have student information up and running for advising. The spring schedule is up also. Mr. Paulman thanked Ms. Leesa Mandlman for developing the web pages. He would like to get feedback, so please let Mr. Paulman know what you think or what's missing, etc. Dr. Huerta noted that NMSU would like all web pages up by December 31. Please give Mr. Paulman any feedback on the new web page.
7 - Informational Items: DABCC Motor Pool Mileage Rates and Visit & Tour of DABCC by MMC Administrators - Dr. Huerta a) Dr. Huerta asked everyone to make sure to read the handout on the new mileage rates for our motor pool.

b) Dr. Huerta is working with Mr. Paul Herzog, CEO at Memorial Medical Center, for him and his administrators to come to DABCC for a meeting and a tour. They have been supportive of DABCC and bought a table for the Amado Peña Fund Raiser. We are also working on a meeting with legislators and local Dentists.
Informational Item

Informational Item
8 - Announcements Ms. Morris reminded everyone about the Patsy Hernandez Memorial Reception at 2:30 p.m. at the East Mesa Center.

Mr. Ledesma noted he had attended a demo on November 17 for the new registration system. He and Dr. Montoya met with Ms. Valerie Pickett on the recruitment matrix 2.

Ms. Rodriguez's noted ABE's recent comprehensive evaluation by the Higher Education Department netted three exemplary and two superior in the five evaluation categories. Also, ABE received a $79,000 increase to their budget from the Workforce Development Board and carryover funds.

Dr. Chieffo noted a new Core Team for Lumina would be announced soon. She will Chair the Core Team. She attended a Statewide meeting on general education in New Mexico which they would like to ensure that general education courses at one institution are the same at another. There will be administrative evaluations of the four credit division deans in mid November. The non credit division deans plus satellite directors, department chairs and program directors will be the next round in the next few months. These evaluations will be sent to all direct reports and anyone who works with this person. This is not the annual evaluation. Dr. Huerta noted this followed policy.

Ms. VanderGiesen noted 200 people participated in the Summit and 171 for the conference. There were good comments. Dr. Huerta noted Ms. VanderGiesen and staff did an excellent job. Ms. VanderGiesen is continuing to work with Deming to offer courses and is meeting with Mr. Scott Vinson on November 9. The unit received $98,000 from the State in matching funds.

Mr. Welch noted a meeting would be held on Monday on the WIN software and Work Keys. He's working with Arrowhead on looking into an AA in Aerospace Technology. The Construction Alliance dinner raised over $25,000.

Ms. Roberts noted that the government was downsizing and White Sands would be under the hub of Fort Bliss. In the next year or so, they should report to Fort Bliss.

Mr. Paulman would like the transfer/transition guides on the web to be used to talk to counterparts across the street to develop or update agreements. Paperwork to back it up would be great.

Mr. Walker announced that there was a new doctor in the house - Dr. Melinda Chavez. They are currently working on training for Tax Help New Mexico.

Ms. Sletten noted the division has a new advisor, Ms. Rachel Bernal. The division is working on clinical site issues. They are also talking to Mountain View on starting a Surgical Technology program. It was noted TVI has a program.

Irene wanted everyone to add January 24 Donor Appreciation Dinner, 6:00 p.m., Commons to their calendars.

Dr. Huerta thanked Irene for all her work on the agenda and minutes for these meetings.
Informational Item

Informational Item


Informational Item


Informational Item





Informational Item



Informational Item


Informational Item

Informational Item


Informational Item

Informational Item


Informational Item

Informational Item
Next Meeting Friday, December 2, 2005, 10:00 a.m., ACR
Meeting Ended 11:50 a.m.