ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Thursday, October 6, 2005
10:00 a.m., ACR

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Anna Chieffo, Andy Burke, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Mary Sletten, John Walker, Jerry Welch, Sylvia Nickerson, Molly Morris, Carolyn VanderGiesen, J.B. Carrica, Fred Lillibridge, Erlinda Portillo, John Paulman, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Bernadette Montoya, Susan Roberts, Susan Wood, Fred Lillibridge

GUESTS: Ike Ledesma for Bernadette Montoya, Mary Beth Worley for Fred Lillibridge, Tim Chappell for Susan Wood

INTRODUCTION OF NEW EMPLOYEES: Kathy Reddington (Larry Cammack), Louise Ytuarte (Janie Pence)

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time 10:10 a.m.

Dr. Huerta welcomed everyone and noted the long agenda. Dr. Huerta would like to take this opportunity to introduce new staff. She asked Mr. Burke to introduce Ms. Kathy Reddington. Mr. Burke noted Ms. Reddington replaced Mr. Larry Cammack. Ms. Reddington is retired from the Air Force where she was an HVAC instructor. She came to us from WSMR where she did construction related duties with a contractor. Mr. Burke noted we were happy to have Ms. Reddington with us. He also noted Mr. Cammack would still be working with us to complete both Sunland Park Phase II and East Mesa Phase II. The group applauded and welcomed Ms. Reddington. Ms. Janie Pence introduced Ms. Louise Ytuarte as the new financial aid person who will work with scholarships. Ms. Ytuarte came from main campus where she worked in the Financial Aid Office for two years. She is currently working on a scholarship brochure and providing more information on-line. Ms. Ytuarte's husband works at NMSU in the Chemistry Department. The group applauded and welcomed Ms. Ytuarte.



Informational Item
1 - Approval of August 5, 2005, and September 2, 2005, Minutes - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted Irene had sent out both the August 5, 2005, and the September 2, 2005, minutes for your review. Is there a motion to approve? Mr. John Walker moved to approve the minutes for both August 5, 2005, and September 2, 2005. Ms. Carmen Aguilera-Goerner seconded the motion. All were in favor, the motion carried. Irene will post on our Web page. The minutes for August 5, 2005, and September 2, 2005, were approved. Irene will post on our Web page.
2 - News from NMSU - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta brought the following information from her monthly meetings on main campus. Dr. Huerta asked everyone to please read policies and information and pass along to your areas.

a) Conflict of Interest and Commitment Disclosure Forms.

b) Revised Policy on Student Admission & Residency Processes in Relations to Immigration Status.

c) NMSU Institutional Data Security Policy. This is still in draft form.

d) Policy Manual. NMSU is looking for input. Ms. Lisa Warren has been hired to revise, update the manual and present it to the Board of Regents at their December meeting. Please contact Ms. Warren on any concerns, etc. at 646-5307 or e-mail her at lisawesq@nmsu.edu.

e) Employee Climate Survey, Fall 2004. The survey results are on the NMSU web page. Dr. Huerta also has a hard copy if you would like to review.

f) Procurement Card Violations. Please share with your division including department chairs, program directors, and staff. The handout includes the list of violations and what will happen if employee is in violation. This was effective September 15, 2005. Please remind employees they are responsible.

g) Dr. Huerta was asked by the Provost to present transfer information to the Academic Dean's Council. The rate of transfer from DABCC to NMSU is 19%. Please see handout.

Mr. Tim Chappell asked why DABCC was referred to NMSU-Doña Ana in
Page One. Dr. Huerta noted there was talk of changing our name and the branch CEOs would be meeting with the consultants that NMSU hired for their branding initiative. Mr. Burke added that at the state level we have always been referred to as NMSU-Doña Ana and that our name, which was approved by the NMSU Board of Regents is Doña Ana Branch Community College at New Mexico State University. Mr. Burke also noted it relates to accreditation and our operating agreement between NMSU Regents and the three school boards and will be worked on with NMSU including funding, offerings, and our name. Ms. Portillo asked how her and John Paulman should handle PR and marketing. Dr. Huerta would like us to proceed as we are now.





Informational Item


Informational Item

Informational Item

Please let Lisa Warren know any changes or concerns.

Informational Item

Please share w/your division.


Informational Item


Informational Item
3 - News from Branch Community Colleges - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta shared the following information from her monthly meetings with the other Branch CEOs:

a) The BAS/BIS advisor on main campus is Kelly Hestir. Ms. Hestir works only a couple of hours a week. The best way for students to contact her is by e-mail at khestir@nmsu.edu. Main campus plans to have someone on board full-time by April. Dr. Chieffo noted she works from 10-2 in her office in Milton Hall. The BAS/BIS degrees are offered through the College of Extended Learning.

b) NMSU Alamogordo is proposing an AA in Homeland Security.

c&d) NMSU is working on creating a promotion and tenure document that would be used by all branches. Donna Alden will be the DABCC representative. A creation of an Appeals Board for Community Colleges is also being looked at. Jon Juarez and Teresa Brandon will be the DABCC representatives.

e) Dr. Anna Chieffo will represent DABCC on a committee to look at credit for prior learning.

f) Dr. Huerta reminded everyone about the Branch Round Up on October 7-8 in Carlsbad. Dr. Huerta would like DABCC to reconsider the intent of the Branch Round Up and come up with a good program next time we host.



Informational Item




Informational Item


Informational Item



Informational Item


Informational Item
4 - News from New Mexico Higher Education Department - Dr. Huerta a) Dr. Huerta noted that Mr. Burke had prepared and presented our capital outlay requests to Secretary Beverley McClure and the Higher Education Department. Mr. Burke added the request included $6 million for East Mesa Phase 5. He is not expecting to get all with the price of construction. Dr. Huerta will keep this group posted.

b) Dr. Jozi De Leon has been appointed Deputy Secretary for the Higher Education Department. She will take 18 months leave and start on October 11. Who will work with the community colleges on academic issues has not been announced.
Informational Item


Informational Item
5 - News from New Mexico Association of Community Colleges - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta referred to the agenda on the New Mexico Association of Community Colleges Developmental Education Conference. The conference will be held November 17-18, 2005, in Albuquerque. The Lumina Statewide AtD is providing funding for the conference. The purpose of Lumina is to develop statewide policy. There will be no charge to faculty. Informational Item
6 - Web Page Update & Implementation Timelines - Mr. Paulman, Mr. Hernandez Dr. Huerta asked Mr. John Paulman and Mr. Marco Hernandez to update the group on the DABCC web page and the implementation timelines.

Mr. Paulman noted the college had been waiting on Luminous to start the web page, but since this has not happened, Mr. Paulman has been working with Mr. Hernandez on getting it done. They have been working on four levels from home page to program level. The information for the program level will be taken from the brochures. Mr. Paulman referred to the handout on the DABCC Web Site Development Schedule. The schedule includes the home page going live on November 1. This will include top-level pages under home page, transfer/transition guides, and a link to the spring 2006 schedule. Health & Public Services Division will go live on January 12, 2006; Business & Information Systems Division on March 15, 2006; Technical & Industrial Studies Division on April 15, 2006; and General Studies on May 15, 2006. Added to the handout are the guidelines to coming up with copy. Mr. Paulman would be happy to have Ms. Melissa Bollschweiler help any division with their copy. Needed from the division will be suggestions for imagery that best represents each program, testimonials from current students, successful graduates or employers. Two of the three would be great. The brochure copy, testimonials, and photos will be due on December 9 from each division. Mr. Paulman noted that templates would be sent to programs, units. Dr. Huerta noted this was being done to be more consistent. She also asked Mr. Paulman to work on transfer guides with Mr. Hernandez and Ms. Sylvia Calderon. These guides and the schedule will be added to the web. Mr. Paulman would like everyone to scrutinize the transfer guides by program and by prefix and make sure all are good. A discussion followed on domain, URL, and federal I.D. Ms. Nickerson asked if this would be standardized. Dr. Huerta noted yes this would be standardized.



The brochure copy, testimonials, and photos are due on December 9 from each Division.
7 - Accreditation Updates - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted the visit by Dr. John Taylor went well and was very useful. Dr. Taylor suggested we update our operating agreement and also request a letter of support for separate accreditation from President Martin.

a) Dr. Huerta referred to the draft handout of the DABCC vision, mission, and values statements which the Criterion I Committee has worked hard on. After Administrative Council approval, it will go to the Executive Team. The plan is present it to the DABCC Advisory Board at its December 1 meeting. Dr. Huerta asked the group for input and suggestions.

Suggestions:
Mr. Burke - the emphasis on the vision statement should be what we do real well: job preparation, workforce, economic development and should not focus on what we provide to the community. It will be presented to the Higher Education Department.
Ms. Nickerson - vision statement too touchy feeling, maybe use the wording learning centered and outcome based instead of safe/supportive.
Ms. VanderGiesen - second bullet under Community should be worked into the vision or mission statements.
Mr. Burke - we need to keep community college throughout in our name, in the vision and mission statements.
Ms. Aguilera-Goerner - fourth bullet under Education, change insures to ensures
Ms. Molly Morris - the vision statement need an introductory phrase for greater clarity.
Dr. Chieffo - agreed with Ms. Morris, also, vision statement should start with DABCC and for the value statement add students "that" and employers "that."

Dr. Huerta noted it would be looked at by the Executive Team and Mr. Chappell will be given the suggestions to take back to the Criterion 1 Committee. There will be no vote today. It will be edited and will be on the November 4 Administrative Council agenda for final approval by this group.
Informational Item


Informational Item





Suggestions for DABCC mission, vision, & values statements.







Mr. Chappell will take suggestions back to committee. It will be added to November agenda for approval
8 - Development Activities - Ms. Portillo a) Dr. Huerta reminded the division deans to please submit their nominations for the Distinguished Alumni Award by tomorrow, October 7. The college will hold a reception on October 29. Dr. Huerta also noted that due to the very late responses from the division, the college missed an opportunity to have the names published in one of NMSU's publications. Ms. Portillo added that the NMSU Foundation Office could help with finding alumni if divisions are having a hard time. They can do a search and provide the college with some names including contact information. Start this year for next year.

b) Dr. Huerta would like to centralize our fund raising efforts. Ms. Portillo would not do it all, but would be a contacted with information on fund raising efforts around the college. We would like to identify our donor's interest and make sure not to hit them up for everything. Ms. Portillo noted we were competing with ourselves and we needed to review. This also goes with soliciting door prizes. Dr. Huerta noted we should go and get money, just keep Ms. Portillo informed. Ms. Portillo suggested have a consistent approach and documentation (cover letter and back up documents) when soliciting. Dr. Huerta would like to send personal thank you notes to those who donate. Ms. Nickerson suggested a DABCC packet would be really helpful.

c & d) Ms. Erlinda referred to the handout on 2005 Special Events. Please look over and add to your calendars. Also, please do not double up events. A few reminders: 1) October 20 the Construction Alliance Fund Raising Dinner for DABCC endowment, 6:00 p.m., Fulton Center, $30 per person; 2) October 25 the Amado Peña Fund Raising Gala "An Evening with Amado Peña" at the Farm & Ranch Museum, 6:00 p.m. (poster almost ready); 3) October 29 the Distinguished Alumni Reception at 11:30 a.m., Commons, no charge; 4) December 6 the Student Awards Ceremony, 6:00 p.m., Corbett; and 5) January 24 the Donor Appreciation Dinner, 6:00 p.m., Commons. Dr. Huerta reminded the group about the Danny Villanueva Breakfast on October 27 at the Corbett Center, $125 per person. Ms. Portillo noted the Community Health Foundation presented a check to DABCC in the amount of $4,000 to award 10 students. A check presentation is being worked on. The Dental Hygiene Program will receive $8,000. Delta Dental, who Dr. Huerta met with, will also be helping to provide monies for software for the Dental Hygiene Program. Ms. Portillo is also working on an endowed scholarship for Patsy Hernandez with her Ms. Hernandez's daughter
Divisions please submit your nominations by October 7.



Please inform Ms. Portillo of all fund raising activities in your Divisions/Units.



Please note on your calendars.
9 - Recommended Action Plans from Finalized Institutional Priorities - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta recommended everyone take a good look at the Action Plans for the finalized Institutional Priorities. Dr. Huerta would like to finalize at the November meeting. Please note on Priority 3, the committee is recommending hiring an assessment coordinator which would impact resources. Dr. Huerta wanted to applaud those who chaired or co-chaired the five priority committees: Priority 1, John Walker; Priority 2, Anna Chieffo & Fred Lillibridge; Priority 3, Susan Wood; Priority 4, Sylvia Nickerson & John Paulman; and Priority 5, Molly Morris. Please look over and be ready to give feedback at the November meeting. Please look over action plans and be ready to give feedback at the November meeting.
10 - Newly Approved Academic Programs - Dr. Chieffo a) Dr. Chieffo referred to the brochure on the certificate in Building Construction Technology. It is not in the catalog, which was also handed out, but it is in effect. Mr. Welch noted the program was going through a national certification process and we will be looking at an associate degree in the program also. It will be an excellent feeder program for the high schools.

b) Dr. Chieffo noted that the new degrees in Creative Media Technology (CMT) and Health Information Technology (HIT) were both listed in the 2005-2006 catalog. CMT is located on page 28 - is still being fine tuned and working to transition students from two year to four year. HIT is located on page 39 - this program was developed in collaboration between Business & Information Systems Division and Health & Public Service Division. It will be housed in the B&I Division. Dr. Chieffo reminded everyone that all updates for the next catalog will be due by December.

c) Dr. Chieffo referred to handout that is a sample that Institutional Effectiveness Office put together to be used to analyze what is budgeted with what is scheduled. This is an effort by Mr. Burke, Dr. Lillibridge, Mr. Walker, Ms. Worley, and Dr. Chieffo to provide a tool to keep in line with budget.

d) Dr. Sheila Semmler has been hired as a consultant for our Dental Hygiene Program and will be on campus this Monday through Wednesday. We hope to begin the program in Fall 2007.

e) Our Diagnostic Medical Sonography and Vascular Technology Programs have been accredited effective September 16, 2005.
Informational Item



Informational Item





Informational Item


Informational Item


Informational Item
11 - Tuition Waivers for El Paso Residents - Mr. Burke Mr. Burke noted several people have asked about DABCC offering resident tuition to El Paso residents. The State Law that this applies too, only applies to four year institutions that have been constitutionally created. The college was created statutorily. Mr. Ledesma noted EPCC does waive the tuition for Doña Ana residents. Mr. Burke stated the State sees the community college serving the residents of their counties, EPCC probably absorbs the budget required to offer the tuition waiver. Dr. Carrica noted that students residing out of district who take up to six credits pay same tuition as in district. Informational Item
12 - CAO Interview Process and Timelines - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta provided the group with an agenda that will be used for CAO interviews. The interviews will be scheduled between October 31 and November 11. The Committee is working on finalizing candidates and agendas. Please mark your calendars and participate. Informational Item
13 - Southern New Mexico Summit and Conference - Ms. VanderGiesen Ms. VanderGiesen referred to packet on the Southern New Mexico Summit and Conference to be held on October 13-14 at the Hilton. As of today, 180 have signed up for the summit and 110 for the conference. Please see agenda in the packet. Several highlights include keynote addresses by Ms. Jessie Hogg and Dr. Lowell Catlett. Dr. Huerta noted Mr. Carter Campbell would be the facilitator for the panel and roundtable at the Summit. There will be prominent speakers and panelist. Ms. VanderGiesen noted the Conference would be an extension of the Summit. Several topics on workforce issues will be done in breakout sessions. Objectives and a vision statement for the Summit are included in the packet. Ms. VanderGiesen thanked Ms. Sletten for the wording of the vision statement. This year bags will be given to participants of the Summit and Conference. Ms. VanderGiesen gave the group bags for their use.

Ms. VanderGiesen also noted the MOU with Deming was completed and approved. She will work with Mr. Welch and others on providing courses. Dr. Huerta noted that as long as divisions stay within their budgets it will be ok for them to extend to Deming.
Informational Item






Informational Item
14 - Announcements Mr. Walker noted the International Space Symposium was being held at NMSU today. Also, Ms. Melinda Chavez is defending her dissertation today.

Dr. Chieffo noted she had withdrawn her application for the CAO position. After much thought and conversation with her family, she thought it best to withdraw. Dr. Chieffo has thoroughly enjoyed acting as Interim but needed balance in her life.

Ms. Ledesma noted the student government elections were over. The new president is Juan Carlos Becerra (63% of the votes); vice president is Dayna Panagrossi (uncontested); public relations is France Gutierrez-Olona (uncontested); and secretary/treasurer is Gabriel Calderon (59 % of the votes). Those who lost will be offered positions as at large senators. The total number of students who voted was 348. Dr. Huerta noted she would like to meet with the officers at least once a month. Mr. Ledesma also noted student services would be participating in an Education Fair on October 27 sponsored by the City of Las Cruces; he is revamping admissions recruitment to be more accountable. Ms. Portillo noted he should contact Brad Bankhead about having a booth or something at the International Mariachi Conference on November 11 at the Corbett Center.

Mr. Chappell noted Faculty Council had e-mailed several members of the group on the promotion and tenure process. Faculty Council has several concerns. Dr. Huerta noted chain of command should be followed and that she and Dr. Chieffo had talked about it. Dr. Chieffo noted she had sent a response by e-mail.

Mr. Welch noted our Manufacturing Bridge Program had been chosen as one of the Governor's Pilot Projects. The manufacturers chose us.

Ms. Morris noted beginning November 1, the Library will be offering 27/7 on line research assistance in both English and Spanish.

Sylvia Nickerson noted a few updates for ABE: 1) today ABE is hosting a World Education Forum in which 30 organizations will be here to discuss challenges to rural areas; 2) Workforce Development Boards have stopped their exploration of one-stop centers. They will now start them and Las Cruces is one of the targeted communities; 3) ABE will be going through an comprehensive state evaluation on October 25 - 28.

Ms. Sletten noted a few updates for the Health Division: 1) they are working with Mr. Paulman on program brochures; 2) the third week in October they will be having a Health Fair with a two day blood drive; 3) the NM Board of Nursing will be here on October 21 at Memorial Medical Center for their state meeting which DABCC is hosting; 4) the Division is looking at background checks and being proactive and coming up with a package for our students.

Ms. Erlinda reminded everyone on the Disability Awareness Day next Wednesday.

Ms. Aguilera-Goerner noted the General Studies Division was in the interview process for the Department Chair for English/Communications position. Ms. Nickerson is the chair.

Dr. Carrica noted Sunland Park addition is coming along and the last walk-through would be done soon. Dr. Carrica also noted the change to 404 (Anthony Gap) around the North and East would change the entrance to our Gadsden Center. There is also preliminary plans to widen the corridor from here to Las Cruces.

Dr. Huerta thanked Irene for taking notes. She met with the Provost yesterday and he would like us to think of programs that we can highlight in the next three to four months. The Governor and Secretary McClure have made this request. Please let Dr. Huerta know of any program(s) we can highlight.
Informational Item

Informational Item


Informational Item






Informational Item


Informational Item


Informational Item


Informational Item




Informational Item




Informational Item


Informational Item



Informational Item



Informational Item
Next Meeting Friday, November 4, 2005, 10:00 a.m., ACR
Meeting Ended 12:38 p.m..