ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, April 1, 2005
9:00 a.m., ACR

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Andy Burke, Anna Chieffo, Bernadette Montoya, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Mary Sletten, Jerry Welch, Sylvia Nickerson, Molly McGetrick, Susan Roberts, J.B. Carrica, Rebecca Kongs, Anna Dyson, Carolyn VanderGiesen, John Paulman, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Fred Lillibridge, Erlinda Portillo, John Walker

GUESTS: Mary Beth Worley for Fred Lillibridge, Kelly Brooks, Abby Osborne, Joyce Bradely, Kim Seifert, Lydia Bagwell, Pamela Blevins, Stacy Cotton, Leesa Mandlman

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time 9:20 a.m.

Dr. Huerta welcomed everyone. She noted the College Budget Committee had worked very hard and Mr. Kim Seifert will be giving the Committee's budget recommendation.



Informational Item
1 - Final Budget Recommendations - Budget Committee & Admin Council Budget Committee and Administrative Council gave their final budget recommendations to the Executive Team. Informational Item
2 - Approval of February 4, 2005 Minutes - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta asked for approval of the February 4 minutes. Ms. Aguilera-Goerner moved to approve minutes with a correction to Item 8, announcements. Please change ABC to ABE under Ms. Aguilera-Goerner's announcement. Irene will make the change before posting on web. Dr. Montoya seconded the motion. There was no discussion, all were favor, the motion carried (w/correction). The February 4 minutes were approved w/change. Irene will make change and post on web.
4 - Equipment Request Process - Mr. Burke Mr. Burke referred to the draft memo on the 05-06 equipment request process. Two major building projects will impact the monies available. Sunland Park Phase 2 is currently under construction with completion before fall. The bid was over and, therefore, there is no money for equipment or furniture. The bids are out for East Mesa Phase 2 with bids expected to come in over base. There is also no money for equipment or furniture. We are going to have to be pretty conservative into the process. Also, we will need to see how friendly Carl Perkins will be. Mr. Burke will also talk to NMSU about student revenue bonds.

Mr. Burke gave a few updates including: 1) Mr. Rem Alley has been contracted to work on the remodeling for Technical Studies and the Workforce Center; and 2) Mr. John Petronis will do the programming for Phase 3 and 4 of East Mesa with the architect being named soon.

Dr. Montoya asked about the tuition increase for non residents. Mr. Burke noted the non resident tuition would increase 12%. He also noted he would like to see our non resident tuition align with main campus' non resident tuition.

Mr. Burke noted the deadline for equipment requests is April 27 and the money will not be available until closer to July. Ms. McGetrick asked if college-wide requests could be submitted in this process. Mr. Burke noted yes.
Informational Item




Informational Item


Informational Item


Equipment Request deadline is April 27.
3 - PRIP Discussion & Recommendation - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta wanted a recommendation from this group to move forward with the PRIP Committee recommendations for institutional priorities. She referred to handout with list of priorities: 1) improve student attainment by increasing persistence, transition, and graduations rates in AY 2004-2005 by AY 2008-2009; 2) DABCC, as a branch of NMSU, will be separately accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools by Spring 2008; 3) Develop, implement, and maintain an assessment of student learning process; 4) Develop and implement a comprehensive marketing/customer service plan to better integrate college-wide efforts and promote a consistent image and message for both internal and external audiences; and 5) Improve coordination and enhance support for DABCC distance learning efforts. Dr. Huerta asked the group for feedback. Dr. Montoya noted the draft Lumina Grant had been submitted and most of priority 1 is included in the grant. Ms. Aguilera-Goerner noted this priority was important to everyone. Dr. Chieffo clarified under priority 3 that it means DA student who graduate here and go on to main campus. A discussion followed on marketing, goals and objectives, graduation rates, and transition rates. Dr. Huerta would like a recommendation to move forward. Ms. Aguilera-Goerner moved to move forward with PRIP Committee recommendations. Ms. VanderGiesen seconded the motion. There was no discussion, all were in favor, the motion carried.

Dr. Huerta next asked for volunteers to work on Task Force's she will put together for each priority. After discussion, this was a tentative list of volunteers for each priority:
Priority 1: Bernadette Montoya, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Mary Sletten, John Walker, Jerry Welch, and Mary Beth Worley
Priority 2: Anna Chieffo and Fred Lillibridge
Priority 3: Sylvia Nickerson, Jerry Welch, Consuelo Williams, Sue Williams, Rene Sierra, Susan Wood, and a rep from each division
Priority 4: John Paulman, Claudia Hadley, and Manuel Hernandez
Priority 5: Molly McGetrick, J.B. Carrica, Carolyn VanderGiesen, and Lori Allen
Admin Council approved moving forward with PRIP Committee Recommendations.







Informational Item
5 - Deming - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta wanted to discuss the request from Deming to re-establish course offerings in Deming. Ms. VanderGiesen noted she was making arrangements to meet with Scott Vinson. She had attended a meeting in March where interest was in us offering credit courses in technical trades and health. They are not satisfied with Western New Mexico University. The public schools have also requested a meeting with us. They would like to see the model used at Gadsden and other dual credit type programs. Dr. Huerta noted that we will not make any commitments, but we will go to see what they would like. Mr. Carrica noted he was opposed to anything that would take away from our commitments here like Hatch and Chaparral. He is also opposed, as a DA County taxpayer, of paying for training another county's residents. Ms. Aguilera-Goerner noted she did not want us to shut them out. A short discussion followed on WIA Board, WIA funding, and what is currently being offered in Deming. Informational Item
6 - College Graphic Standards & Visual Consistency - Mr. Paulman & Ms. Leesa Mandlman Dr. Huerta noted she had asked Mr. John Paulman and Ms. Leesa Mandlman to come up with a "DABCC look." Ms. Mandlman referred to the Report to the Community, the Contact, and the brochures for the UTP. Mr. Paulman noted the college was complying with NMSU's branding initiative color scheme and what was being shown was our own look. Ms. Mandlman, who came up with designs, passed examples of the schedules, catalog, program brochures, ads, movie ad slides (Allen Theaters), billboards, and web site. Dr. Huerta would like input on the "look." The content will need to worked on including the content in Spanish. A short discussion followed. Ms. VanderGiesen noted she thought it was great and professional. Informational Item
7 - Other Mr. Welch noted Senator Bingaman would be meeting with Gadsden Administrators and DABCC staff at our Gadsden Center. He thank Mr. Carrica and staff for making it smooth. Dr. Huerta reminded the group to notify the CEO office of all visits.

Dr. Huerta reminded everyone of a few happenings which are listed under the agenda: Higher Learning Commission Meeting April 8-11, AACC Annual Conference April 9-12; DABCC Single Board Meeting April 11; Susan Hatfield Visit April 14-16; Gadsden Next Step Program Student Reception April 28; Employee Service Award Ceremony May 3; DABCC Single Board Meeting May 5; and DABCC Commencement May 7.

Ms. McGetrick asked if we should as a college participate with New Mexico Virtual College to post our courses. A discussion followed on admissions and registration. It was suggested looking into posting course from Library Technology and Sonography.



Dr. Chieffo noted the Academy for Community College Excellence would be held May 9-11 and it will focus on the learning college.

Ms. Kongs noted the committee for the Stars of Excellence would meet Wednesday.

Ms. VanderGiesen noted the Workforce Conference/Summit will be held on October 13-14.

Mr. Burke noted the final budget decisions would be made next week. Please give any significant input to the appropriate officer.


Ms. Aguilera-Goerner asked that the request for $8,000 for a physics lab fall under the equipment request. It was noted by Mr. Burke, yes.

Ms. Kongs noted Faculty Council approved working with the institution on survey, student performance, and ALT group.

Dr. Huerta reminded the group that major changes needs to go through the appropriate channels.
Notify CEO Office of all visits.

Informational Item



Ms. McGetrick will look at posting Library Tech and Sonography courses w/NM Virtual College.

Informational Item

Informational Item

Informational Item

Give significant input to appropriate officer
.

Informational Item

Informational Item

Major changes need to go through appropriate channels.
Next Meeting Friday, June 3, 2005, 10:00 a.m., ACR
Meeting Ended 11:55 a.m.