Scholarships Fund Your Future
The Doña Ana Community College Office of Financial Aid & Scholarship Services offers a wide array of scholarships to assist a diverse student population pursuing a higher education. As an open-door institution, our office is committed to providing equal educational opportunities to students regardless of personal, economic, or social conditions. As most of the scholarships require you to demonstrate financial need you are encouraged to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). All Doña Ana Community College Scholarships will be awarded based on completion of the Scholar Dollar$ Application.
The 2017-2018 Scholar Dollar$ is currently open!
The 2018-2019 Scholar Dollar$ is currently open! and remain open year-round. Priority deadline for the Scholar Dollar$ is March 1st; those who submit their application before March 1st will be given priority scholarship consideration.
Many of our scholarships require students to:
- Be NM residents
- Have graduated from a NM high school or received a NM GED
- Be admitted to DACC in a degree-seeking program
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress or varying GPA requirements
- Eligibility and renewal criteria vary
Consideration or nomination for a scholarship requires a Scholar Dollar$ application be submitted each year.
The State of New Mexico encourages residents to continue their education in New Mexico post secondary institutions by providing state-funded scholarship opportunities.
- Legislative Lottery Scholarship
- New Mexico Scholars
- Transfer Achievement Scholarship – For students transferring from DACC to NMSU
The New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship is automatically awarded to qualified students beginning the second semester of the student’s first year at a post-secondary institution. No application is required; however, the Doña Ana Community College Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships strongly recommends that students complete the FAFSA application (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). The scholarship amount for all students is the same. The amount of the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship is set annually by June 1st by the New Mexico Higher Education Department (NMHED) and will only be applied to tuition. Students are responsible for any additional unpaid tuition and fees, unless other scholarships or grants cover these.
Qualifying for the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship:
- Be a New Mexico resident.
- Student must have a completed high school at a public or accredited private New Mexico high school, graduated from a public or accredited private New Mexico high school or received a high school equivalency credential while maintaining residency in New Mexico.
- Student must enroll at a public post secondary educational institution in New Mexico within sixteen months of graduation or receipt of a high equivalency credential.
- Student must enroll in and earn 15 credit hours per semester at a four-year New Mexico public university.
- student must enroll in a and earn 12 credit hours per semester at a two-year New Mexico public community college.
- Student must maintain a 2.5 or greater cumulative grade point average (GPA) each semester of enrollment.
- Students with disabilities may qualify for reduced credit hour requirements and additional semesters of the scholarship.
- Complete 12 new graded credit hours (15 at a 4-year institution) each semester.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or greater after the first qualifying semester.
New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship LEGACY STUDENTS
- If a student has received at least three (3) semesters of the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship by Spring 2014, the student is considered a LEGACY student.
- LEGACY students are required to complete successfully 12 “new” credit hours each semester and maintain a GPA of 2.5 or better.
- LEGACY students are eligible to receive the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship for eight semesters
*This scholarship is valid for seven semesters (three semesters at a 2-year institution and transferable to a 4-year university), or until a bachelor degree is earned, whichever comes first. The rules and regulations for the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship for all students, LEGACY or otherwise, are determined by and subject to change by the New Mexico Higher Education Department and the New Mexico Legislature.
Provided below is information regarding External Scholarship Opportunities. Reminder: deadlines, requirements and award amounts will vary
|Ambient Edge Scholarship||$1000||December 31, 2018|
|American Indian Nurse Scholarship Program||$1,500||December 1|
|Appliance Repair 512 Scholarship||$500||April 1, 2019|
|Appiloque Scholarship||$500||December 1, 2018|
|Aroma Tech Systems Scholarship||$500.||December 31, 2019|
|Automotive Stuff Scholarship||$500||December 31, 2018|
|Bey & Associates||$1,000||January 8; August 1, 2018|
|Biology Dictionary||$1,000||October 15, 2018|
|Blue Gadget Tooth||$1,000||October 30, 2018|
|Blue Pay STEM scholarship||$1,000 winner, $250 (2 runner ups)||August 17, 2018|
|Blue Stacks Download||$1,000 (x3)||September 30, 2018|
|Bradford Legal Scholarship||$1,000||December 4, 2018|
|Career Crawlers||$1,500||December 14, 2018|
|Chairish Scholarship Program||$2,500||January 1st & June 30th annually|
|Child of an American Veteran Scholarship||$1,500||December 15, 2018|
|Child Welfare and Development Scholarship||$1,000||January 31, 2019|
|Choose Best Mattress||$1,500||June 29; October 30, 2018|
|Corban Gunn||$1,000||August 2018|
|CrowdReviews.com “Transparency” Scholarship||$5,000||December 15|
|Custody XChange Single Parents||$500-$1,000||August 31, 2018|
|Danish Sisterhood of America||Varies||March 1 -Annually|
|Danley”s Garage Builders Scholarship||$1000||November 15, 2018|
|Daughters of the American Revolution||Varies||Varies|
|David Bate Protector of Rights||$1,000||July 15, 2018|
|DBD Law Scholarship||$1000||July 15, 2018|
|Dental Hygienist/Assistant & Humanitarian Scholarship||$2,000||July 31 & December 15 – Annually|
|Don’t Pay Full||$500||October 22, 2018|
|Ecommerce Marketing & Technology Science||$2,000||TBA|
|Facts Chronicle Digital Marketing Scholarship||$1,000||July 30 – Annually|
|Feldco Windows, Siding, and Doors||$1,000||January 15; June 15, 2018|
|Fogsoft Custom Software Development Services||$2,500; $1,500; $500||August 20, 2018|
|Gates Millennium Scholars||Varies||Annually|
|GIVA Outstanding Nursing Student Scholarship||$1,000||September 1 & March 1 – Annually|
|Guardian Protection Services Scholarship||$1,001||November 30, 2018|
|HammockStandExpert.com||$1,000||August 1, 2018|
|Healthcare And Life Sciences Scholarship||$1,000||December 31, 2018|
|High Class Vape Co.||$4,000||December 30, 2017; June 1, 2018|
|HSF General College Scholarship||$500-$5,000||Varies|
|Impact||$1,000||December 15, 2017; July 15, 2018|
|Lalco Residency||$500||August 15, 2018|
|Loch Law Scholarship Program||$500||July 31, 2018|
|Maple Holistics Natural||$1,000||September 1; December 29, 2018|
|Mercedes-Benz||$2,000||August 1, 2018|
|Money Key||$2,500||June 30; September 30, 2018|
|My Millennial Guide Scholarship||$500||August 31, 2018|
|My Web Hosting Reviews||$$500; $300; $200||September 1, 2018|
|Neighborhoods.com Neighborhood Involvement Scholarship||$2,000||December 31|
|NursingTrack.com Nursing School Scholarship||$1,000||August 31 – Annually|
|Oppu Achievers Scholarship||$2,500||Varies|
|PinMart scholarship||$1,500||September 1, 2018|
|PricenFees Scholarship||$750||August 15 & December 31 – Annually|
|Reports Healthcare.com||$1,500||December 15, 2018|
|Rising Stars: Interior Design & Architecture||$2,500||January 1; June 30, 2018|
|SDBotox||$2,000||August 15, 2018|
|Skincare Ox Beauty & Wellness||$1,000 & Organic Beauty Basket||January 1; March 31; June 30; September 30, 2018|
|Sleep Judge State of Sleep Scholarship||$1,500||October 30 & November 15 – Annually|
|Soma Weight Loss Health & Wellness Scholarship||$1,000||September 2018|
|Spolin Law Civil Rights & Criminal Law||$1,000||October 15, 2018|
|Staver Law Group Personal Injury||$5,000||December 1, 2018|
|Straight North STEM||$1,000; $250; $250||August 1, 2018|
|TheBackPackerCo||$500||October 29, 2018|
|The Cooler Reviews Scholarship||$1,500||December 14|
|The Law Offices of Casey D. Shomo Scholarship||$1,000||December 31, 2018|
|The Law Offices of George Salinas||$1,250||March 30, 2019|
|The Prosper Shaked Scholarship||$1,500||August 15, 2018|
|The SKinner Law Firm Scholarship||$1,000||October 15, 2018|
|The Villa Escape||$500||October 31, 2018|
|Thomas Law Offices||$1,000||January 8; August 1, 2018|
|Upgraded Points Journey Scholarship||$1000||December 31, 2018|
|Urban & Taylor, S.C.||$1,000||January 8; August 1, 2018|
|Vape Craft, Inc||$4,000||December 30, 2017; June 1, 2018|
|Volt Lighting STEM Scholarship||$500||July 31, 2018 and December 31, 2018|
|WebstaurantStore Scholarship||$1,500||June 15 – Annually|
|Weisblatt Law Firm||$1,000||July 15, 2018|
|Welsh & Welsh||$1,000||August 1, 2018|
|Wiley CP Aexcel Accounting Student||$500 & Wiley CP Aexcel Platinum Course||TBA|
|YourSoftball External Scholarship||$1,000||December 30 – Annually|
|Vegas||$2,500; $1,500; $1,000||August 20, 2018|
Need help writing a scholarship essay? Many scholarship applications may require an essay submission. Prior to submitting an application be sure to check the scholarship requirements.
- IGRAD Resources for scholarships:
- Ultimate Guide to Earning a Scholarship
- The Importance of writing Thank you Letters for Scholarships
- How to write a Scholarship Essay that Makes you Stand Out
- Writing a Winning Scholarship Essay
- Common Scholarship Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
- Tips to Help Non-Traditional Students pay for College
- Financial Literacy: Financial Aid and Other Ways to Pay for College
- How to Get Free Money for School (Webinar Clip)
- American Trucks: https://www.americantrucks.com/scholarships.html
- AmericanTrucks: 4 x $2000 scholarships to students pursuing a career in the traditional building trades such as HVAC, carpentry, electrical, or related fields of study. Two scholarships will be awarded every spring semester, followed by two additional scholarships to be awarded for the fall semester each year
- American Muscle: https://www.americanmuscle.com/scholarships.html
- AmericanMuscle: 4 x $2000 scholarships for students pursuing an automotive themed major(mechanical engineering, robotics etc.) Two scholarships will be awarded every spring semester, followed by two additional scholarships to be awarded for the fall semester each year
- Extreme Terrain: https://www.extremeterrain.com/scholarships.html
- ExtremeTerrain: 2 x $3000 scholarships for students pursuing a degree in Environmental Studies, Environmental Research, Land Use, Earth and Atmosphere Studies, Sustainable Land Management, Parks and Recreation, or Sustainable Agriculture Systems. One scholarship will be awarded for the fall semester and another for the spring semester each year.
Beware of Scholarship Scams
Click here for more information on scams and how to avoid them.
Scam Warning Signs:
- You have to pay a fee
- Money-back offers or guarantees
- Provides “exclusive” information
- Federal Trade Commission
- U.S. Department of Education Office of Inspector General
- Better Business Bureau
Sources of Aid
- College Board
- College Scholarships.org
- Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico
- Federal Student Loans
- Financial aid for vocational programs
- Horatio Alger Association Career & Technical Scholarship Program
- Peterson’s College Search
- School Soup