The New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship is automatically awarded to qualified students beginning the second semester of the student’s first year at a post-secondary institution. No application is required; however, the Doña Ana Community College Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships strongly recommends that students complete the FAFSA application (Free Application for Federal Student Aid).
Qualifying for the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship:
- Be a New Mexico resident.
- Enroll in college the semester immediately following (1) graduation from a New Mexico high school, (2) earn a New Mexico certificate of completion, or (3) receive a New Mexico high school equivalency credential. Home-school students must have a high school equivalency credential dated prior to the entering semester.
- Be degree seeking.
- Pass 12 new graded credit hours at a community college (15 at a 4-year institution) by the end of the first semester.
- Earn a 2.5 GPA or greater for the first semester.
- Complete 12 new graded credit hours (15 at a 4-year institution) each semester.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or greater after the first qualifying semester.
This scholarship is valid for seven semesters (three semesters at a 2-year institution and transferable to a 4-year university), or until a bachelor degree is earned, whichever comes first.
The scholarship amount for all students is the same. The amount of the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship is set annually by June 1st by the New Mexico Higher Education Department (NMHED) and will only be applied to tuition. Students are responsible for any additional unpaid tuition and fees, unless other scholarships or grants cover these.
New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship LEGACY STUDENTS. If a student has received at least three (3) semesters of the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship by Spring 2014, the student is considered a LEGACY student. Thus a LEGACY student is required to complete successfully 12 “new” credit hours each semester and maintain a GPA of 2.5 or better. LEGACY students are eligible to receive the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship for eight semesters.
The rules and regulations for the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship for all students, LEGACY or otherwise, are determined by are are subject to change by the New Mexico Higher Education Department and the New Mexico Legislature.